High milage jeep, looking for a few answers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have the mileage you have but I do have a leaky rear main seal. I use what ever is on sale. I can tell you a high mileage oil will not cure your rear main seal weep.

As for additives, I have tried them all on my jeep (Lube control, MMO, Seafoam, etc). Did they work......who knows, it made me sleep better at night and the jeep runs very very well so it's all good with me.

I really think that as long as you keep your oil topped off and keep up on the maintenance, your jeep should run well for a long time!

I used a can of power foam I had laying here and tomorrow Im going to put in the HM oil that I bought today. I hope it slows or stops it, but who knows.

Its an 97 and I do hear a slight ticking, but Im not sure if you can call it a tick. I did the oil change today and the power foam yesterday. I DO think that power foam from Amsoil did help a lot. Seems to idle better and better accel. I also added 1oz TCW3 per 5 gal of gas.. That seemed to help better with the start ups in the AM.

So far these three little things helped. I'll report back with the tune up kit once it is installed.

Also, I think Id like to run this OCI very short. Id like to get some more cleaning going on.

Can I add one qt of MMO on top of my current fill? Or do I have to drain a Qt first. Im hoping that the MMO will help clean a bit.

use a high mileage motor oil 5w30 in the winter and 10w30 or 5w30 in the summer dont put any additives in it and let it do its job i have used max life, pennzoil and mobil high mileage oils and i have seen them work in a lot of engine.
remember no more additives for a while let the oil do its job the hm oil is pretty good i use it and i have an engine shop

Originally Posted By: Michaelbgone
Just a quick note for you. The rear main seal can be changed easily with the engine in place. Drop the oil pan, pull the rear-most bearing cap and the two piece seal can be pushed out. Bolt it all back up and your good for another 150K.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft4LhJWOgtk Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5o5sZbCEsw Part 2

im getting ready to do exactly this in the next week or 2. i just found mine leaking 3 days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back