High lead in Acura TL Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received a UOA from Blackstone, and almost everything looked great on this 10,000 mile oil change of Edge Titanium 5W/30. However, the lead level was 17 ppm against an average of 3 ppm. Blackstone thinks it is most likely a "harmless particle streak" through the bearings. Does anyone have a rule of thumb, or thought on what this means and odds on it being a major bearing problem. The car is a 2001 Acura TL and all other wear metals are right on the money. This is the first time I have gone to 10K and the TBN remains a healthy 3.5. Some folks say Honda engines, especially V-6's, are hard on oil, but apart from the lead, the oil has held up. Any thoughts on this lead level? Thanks in advance.

You can't tell much from one UOA, look for a trend.
If it were like 50 ppm or something, I'd be a little worried, but 17 ppm in 10K miles? Probably just a particle streak.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I would not lose sleep over that especially with everything else in line. I am looking forward to trying the new Edge FST.
Edge is a great oil, but I ended up buying Mobil EP this last time as Edge Titanium in 5 qt bottles was simply not available in Wal Mart, despite the insistence from Castrol that it was! Good luck.

I agree. No cause for concern, IMO. I had 20 ppm of lead in my recent 10K OCI on GC as well. The lab doesn't consider it abnormal until you go over 50 ppm.

I am having a very similar situation. Castrol Edge Titanium 5w-30 in 2001 Acura CL-S V6 with 150k. Ran the oil for 6800 miles and also have Lead at 16 ppm, this is up from 11 ppm on last UOA. All other metals below average. I was thinking of shortening this run to 6k and trying PP 5w-30 next time.

Originally Posted By: stumpman
I am having a very similar situation. Castrol Edge Titanium 5w-30 in 2001 Acura CL-S V6 with 150k. Ran the oil for 6800 miles and also have Lead at 16 ppm, this is up from 11 ppm on last UOA. All other metals below average. I was thinking of shortening this run to 6k and trying PP 5w-30 next time.
Very interesting. Do you recall what your previoius oil was? I think that our cars are close enough mechanically (with all due respect to the fantastic Type Power) that we can assume that 1. It is unlikely to be a mechanical problem, 2. That it may be the way Edge w/Titanium tests, or 3. it's just the way that the Acuras wear. I am using Mobil 1 EP, so we'll see if that makes a difference. Good luck.

The last UOA was Edge/Titanium. It could be the Edge chemistry that causes it. I hope to get the Lead back down by using another premium synthetic. Unfortunately, I used Edge again this time when I changed the oil. So it will be another 6 months at the earliest before I drain at 6000 miles.

I've had two of these engines and have twice UOA'd through Terry Dyson.

His advice for this engine is addressing its only real issue which is that it can at times be a fuel diluter. I've never had any significant amount of lead so I suspect particle streak or something in the chemistry of edge.. who knows.

How are the indicators for fuel dilution? Was the oil in grade, traces of manganese?

I would try a different oil as you have done, and do things to prevent fuel dilution (like keeping a clean oil filter, spark plugs in spec, pcv valve in good shape). In the mean time, I'd worry more about the transmission.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
I've had two of these engines and have twice UOA'd through Terry Dyson.

His advice for this engine is addressing its only real issue which is that it can at times be a fuel diluter. I've never had any significant amount of lead so I suspect particle streak or something in the chemistry of edge.. who knows.

How are the indicators for fuel dilution? Was the oil in grade, traces of manganese?

I would try a different oil as you have done, and do things to prevent fuel dilution (like keeping a clean oil filter, spark plugs in spec, pcv valve in good shape). In the mean time, I'd worry more about the transmission.

Thanks for this answer. In my case the oil was on spec judging by viscosity (in the middle of the reference range at 10,000 miles) and the manganese was 0. So does not like like fuel dilution.

With regards to the transmissions, I change the fluid and with 125,000 miles on the replacement,with the first lasting 40,000 miles, I just cross my fingers. I refuse to worry, but should reiterate that Honda/Acura really provided TL and Accord owners a good screwing on this one!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back