High Energy Ignition Coil for Honda Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a post a few days back about MSD ignition coils but for 234$ I figured that was a lot of $ for a car with over 250K miles on it...
So I went with this brand and I'm actually very surprised how much smoother the car is.. 5 of then 6 that were on the engine were Orginal Hitachi / Denso that came with the car from the factory.
There was one that I replaced and it was a DENSO but on the side it said HITACHI. Anyways I went with the above and there is a big difference.. Much smoother idle and pick up is much improved.
Now I'm not sure if its the new coils or if the others were just very old and not as efficient. Here are some pics. Also, I replaced all 6..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
So how much did you pay per coil? I recently found the best prices at Carid.

Red Ignition Coil 6PCS For 2004-2007 Saturn Vue & Honda Pilot 2003-2008...
Total: $58.93

On Ebay with Free 2 day Shipping.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
It's the red color that makes it faster.
I like how they match that rad hose, but I love how they match the zip tie on the rad support!
lol.gif

Originally Posted by maxdustington
I like how they match that rad hose, but I love how they match the zip tie on the rad support!
lol.gif

Yea I lost a bolt.... The Red Zip tie works perfect....
Funny huh?

I know a guy that has zip ties holding his whole front bumper on....

I never said it made it faster.

Perhaps you had a flaky coil? We all know red is the fastest colour
wink.gif

Did you/do you have the ability to check misfire counts before/after? There's basically no room for improvement on a properly functioning COP setup as the coil is, as the name implies, on the plug, so any improvement you are seeing is likely due to a failing coil that has now been replaced.

Back in the day capacitive discharge multi-strike boxes were the cat's posterior for improving idle and low RPM behaviour on large bore mills with less than ideal chamber designs for those operating parameters. Some of that behaviour has been rolled into the ECM programming of newer engine designs, however this is primarily for better emissions performance.

$58.93 for all 6... That's like $9.66 per Coil... Not bad......
I like that fact they match the silicone radiator hoses and the red oil cap and the Redtop battery and Ohh yea lets not forget the RED ZIP TIES... LOL

I was not going to pay over $250 for MSD coils... That's why too much $... Perhaps if the car had a turbo and was a stickshift and had fewer miles...

This is just a workhorse back and forth to work car. However, I drove all the way to Michigan and back to FL with no problems...

Last edited:
Well, there was no misfire before.. That I can assure you... I remember when 1 of my coils went bad 6 months ago.... the check engine light started to flash and I put the OBD2 scanner and it and told me what cylinder had the misfilre and I went to work and bought a DENSO coil and it was fixed in a few minutes...

What I think is perhaps the other coils with 250K miles were very old and perhaps we're not as efficient as all brand new ones out of the box....

Originally Posted by David1
Well, there was no misfire before.. That I can assure you... I remember when 1 of my coils went bad 6 months ago.... the check engine light started to flash and I put the OBD2 scanner and it and told me what cylinder had the misfilre and I went to work and bought a DENSO coil and it was fixed in a few minutes...

What I think is perhaps the other coils with 250K miles were very old and perhaps we're not as efficient as all brand new ones out of the box....

Efficiency in this context won't make a difference, as if it sparks, it should be imperceptible. When I say misfire, I don't mean a hard misfire like you are probably thinking about, and neither is the ECM, which is why they have a misfire counter threshold before a CEL is triggered. If you have a coil downright fail, it will very quickly (or should) max out the misfire count limit and subsequently present you with a CEL (unless it's a Ford product.... that's a whole other discussion*). If it's a coil that has just gotten weak, you'll get the odd light miss which will present in the counter, but not occur in frequency enough to trigger the CEL. If you do a full coil swap out like you've done, you replace the weak coil(s) and eliminate that light miss and subsequently observe the improvements you've seen here, which in reality are just making it run like it should again.

*Ford set the threshold for misfires to be insanely high. I've personally experienced on two Ford vehicles an obviously failed COP that misses HARD under any sort of load, yet won't trigger a CEL because it sparks in a manner that's sufficiently "proper" under light load. This is where Mode 6 data was invaluable as you could actually see the misfire counts and identify readily which coil was the issue.

I agree with that.. I'm sure you are correct. There is a noticeable improvement while idle and driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back