High Efficiency Washing Machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Evening. A washer in my rental is leaking water when it runs. A check of the serial number shows the washer is 27 years old! Way to go Whirlpool :). I am reluctant to try fixing a 27 year old washer, so I bought a new Amana. Most new washers are labeled high efficiency and take a special low suds detergent. The sales lady cautioned against using regular detergent in this machine. Apparently, using the wrong detergent will cause a super volcano and end all life on earth :)

Anyway, can anyone give me any tips on getting good service from a high efficiency washer? This is a new one for me.

Thanks in advance for a any advice.

A lot of detergent is he these days so it shouldn't be hard to find. Not only is it low suds, it cleans better with the small amount of water high efficiency machines use.

A tip would be to leave the washer door open when not in use so the inside can dry out. Keep the door closed and it will quickly grow mold and mildew.

I had the same thing happen this week with a 23 year old Maytag. The lower tub had a rust hole and it let loose during a load, all over my carpet in an adjoining area. Would have fixed it, but guess what? Part not made any more and could not find a NOS.
At any rate, make sure you use the proper detergent at the right amount. If you bought one without an agitator, load clothes around the edges of the drum. That is all I have after three loads in our new Maytag.
Frankly, I'd rather have my old one back.

Originally Posted By: Fsharp
A lot of detergent is he these days so it shouldn't be hard to find. Not only is it low suds, it cleans better with the small amount of water high efficiency machines use.

A tip would be to leave the washer door open when not in use so the inside can dry out. Keep the door closed and it will quickly grow mold and mildew.

Can't really over emphasize this enough. Wipe down the rubber door gasket to dry it after use and leave the door open!

As others have said, leave the door cracked after use to allow the drum area to dry out. We also leave the detergent door open as it will have standing water in it after a wash.

it maybe harder to find NON-HE detergent than HE detergent. It's pretty obvious

You should also need to periodically clean the washer to dissolve any detergent residue. check manual if it have a self-clean cycle or maintenance instructions. IF not, you can still run just with the hot cycle.

There are official manufacturer suggested products like Affresh (think OEM), or smellywasher is a cheaper rated product (think aftermarket).

Since you're on an oil maintenace board, i think the new periodic "maintenace" for your washer may appeal to you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Fsharp

Yep. I've always done this.

I got a new HE top loader last summer and so far i love it.Uses next to no water and cleans great,Think its GE or Whirlpool don't remember.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Don't use too much soap, they take much less than you think to get everything just as clean

This. A full load uses about a tablespoon.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Don't use too much soap, they take much less than you think to get everything just as clean

The best medicine for soiled clothes to be clean again (without aid of spot cleaners), is to fill the washing machine - let it run for one minute - then turn it off for a half-hour to soak.

Then restart your washer and the results will be much better.

Sure, it's a hassle to remain the basement for an additional couple of minutes. But some things in life are more important than hurriedly getting back upstairs to watch that idiot tube.

Even the new tide HE wont work well in a really good euro front loader it still suds up too much.
It will work in an American front or top loader as they use more water than their european counterparts in the wash cycle specifically.

If you are going to use and need HE formulations -I would recommend persil over anything else and you can now get it at walmart for a really good price.

If you want the very best machine you can buy- go with Miele.

Quality starts with the drum itself and goes from there.
The ladles that lift your laundry are SS in a Miele not plastic like pretty much everything else.
This matters because heavy wet zipper teeth will scratch plastic and that scratch will roll over your clothes for the rest of time tearing them apart.

Top loaders use too much water and typically have to fully cover the clothes to begin working properly - you can't even see standing water when a Miele is in wash mode.

They also don't clean as well as washing is a mechanical process and the weight of the clothes tumbling on each other simply does a better job.

They also don't spin fast enough to really extract properly leading to increased drying times.

Miele washers need 240Volts because the heating elements are one step down from nuclear.
You never need to use bleach in a miele the heat and soap will blast clothes that can take it clean.

IF your washer stinks its because is isn't heating the water enough to kill bacteria and or its poorly designed and leaves puddles.

IF you have the money and want the best go with a Miele.

Barring the money for a Miele a speed queen set is the next best thing.

Happy laundering.

UD

As others have said, probably the biggest thing with the front loaders is to leave the door slightly open so it can air out when not in use. Not sure if it's a common feature across all brands, but our LG has a spring loaded magnet built in to the door that holds it open about an inch and pushes in when you completely close the door so it can latch.

If possible completely remove the tray for detergent/fabric softener/bleach and rinse it out. Then let it drain in the sink until dry. Some disassemble easily for cleaning.

This is addition to leaving the door open to dry the entire interior. I understand there are tablets made to alleviate the mold & mildew problem but I've yet to see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back