High Copper LMM Duramax

As the title says I am concened as the most recent UOA showed elevated Copper more than Blackstone expected. I went much longer than I ancipated by going 10K miles and now im kicking myself for it. I am relatively new to UOA so I am reaching out for help. What could cause this high copper? Should I be concerned, should I switch oils or put in an additive. I was also wondering if using 15W-40 could be the culprit since its much thicker on cold weather start ups? I am just looking for some guidance since I want this motor to last forever. I went back to 5W-40. By the way the the most recent analysis was with Amsoil extreme duty 15W-40. I have attached my first UOA and the most recent "concerning" UOA.

Attachments

• 10 SIERRA 2500HD-200718.pdf
    28.7 KB · Views: 73
I doubt the elevated copper is from the longer OCI. Amsoil should be capable of that without issues.
Might be a good idea to pull a sample after 4,000 or so miles on this oil change.
Like said on the report, keep an eye on the copper for the next OCI. Could be a cooler going south, which would be a bad thing. Potential for coolant mixing with oil.

Whether or not an oil with a winter rating of 5W or 15W is materially thicker or thinner is dependent on temperature. What temperature were you starting the vehicle?

And regardless, unless the temperature is so low the oil cannot be pumped you will not have more wear or copper from a thicker oil. Thicker oil and a higher MOFT prevents wear, not causes it and I don’t see how it would affect the copper number.

Last edited:
kschachn I would say average of 40 F but occasionally 0 F maybe one or two at -10 F

Whether or not an oil with a winter rating of 5W or 15W is materially thicker or thinner is dependent on temperature. What temperature were you starting the vehicle?

And regardless, unless the temperature is so low the oil cannot be pumped you will not have more wear or copper from a thicker oil. Thicker oil and a higher MOFT prevents wear, not causes it and I don’t see how it would affect the copper number.

Danno I am pretty sure the Duramax has an internal oil cooler I will research to see if that can induce copper into the system, i appreciate the response I am very nervous about this

I doubt the elevated copper is from the longer OCI. Amsoil should be capable of that without issues.
Might be a good idea to pull a sample after 4,000 or so miles on this oil change.
Like said on the report, keep an eye on the copper for the next OCI. Could be a cooler going south, which would be a bad thing. Potential for coolant mixing with oil.

I have nothing to add to others comments, but you should remove your personal information from the reports, BS has an option for that ;)

I have nothing to add to others comments, but you should remove your personal information from the reports, BS has an option for that ;)

Or copy the PDF into a folder, print it out, black out your personal info, and then scan agian and save again as a PDF.

I have been dealing with a flagged report for much of the 4 years I have owned my 2012 Cummins. This is the one downside to UOA, it can cause unnecessary worrying. My truck has a new short block when I bought it so it did cause some concerns for me at first. 35,000 miles later and it seems broken in and the reports are good.

Like someone else suggested resample your oil in a few thousand miles and see if the results show a difference.

Also take your info off the report. Too many goofy people out there that will mess with you...

Is the first or second use of Amsoil? If so, that's the most likely culprit of the elevated Cu; due to chelation of the Cu in the oil cooler. Seen this a bazillion times. This will subside as the reaction normalizes to the chemistry of the Amsoil. I am not a chemist; cannot explain it other than to regurgitate the fact that the amines in some Amsoil (and a few other products) causes this reaction. It's essentially harmless, but understandably disconcerning until you understand what's happening.

If, however, you've been using Amsoil for several OFCIs, and this just started, well then you've got something else very concerning going on. But I doubt that's the case. The only time I've seen horrific wear in a Dmax UOA is when an improper oil filter was used, and then a mass lube thickening agent was added, causing serious wear issues due to poor lube circulation while the lube was cold.

Back