Hidden compartments in your car you didn't find until much after purchase.

Anyone else experience anything similar? Got this Saturn Vue 4 years ago and just deep cleaned it before getting it ready to sell. In the center console there are these cup holders below a sliding cover,,

098.jpg

wanted to see if I could take them out for a better cleaning. When I did, I found this large hidden compartment that even has a power outlet.

099.jpg

The average person would never think it was there. Yes I guess that makes me just average.

When I was younger, I might have traveled around with certain illegal substances. You learn all the nooks and crannies.

There's a drawer that pulls out from the bottom of the armrest near the hump in the floor on the 04-09 Prius. Didn't find it until I had owned the car for several years. Nothing interesting in it.

My G35 has a small pocket on the side of the backseat, center drop-down armrest. Fact that it's in the backseat and on the side of the armrest vs on top (with a velcro'd peel-back opening) seems odd to me, like it was intentionally made somewhat discrete. It's about a perfect size for something like a handgun but not convenient if you needed to grab it...

1676934837243.jpg

The Honda Odyssey we used to have had a "lazy susan" behind the front seats. Pretty sure the owners manual actually referred to it so not really "hidden", but when 90% of owners don't read the manual, I guess it would be hidden for most. As I understand it, the underbody/chassis from pre-2005 models was the same as later years and this space was where the temporary spare tire was stored. In '05 and later, they re-located it to the rear and mounted it vertically. The space remained though and Honda added a spinning storage compartment.

Last edited:
2011-present Durango’s have a cubby under the driver seat, I’d assume the WK2 Grand Cherokee’s would as well. Some have modules in them, some don’t. Passenger side cubby has the battery.

My ram has cubbies in the floor by both back doors, took me awhile to learn about those as the floor mat covers them.

Anyone else experience anything similar? Got this Saturn Vue 4 years ago and just deep cleaned it before getting it ready to sell. In the center console there are these cup holders below a sliding cover,,

View attachment 141305

wanted to see if I could take them out for a better cleaning. When I did, I found this large hidden compartment that even has a power outlet.

View attachment 141307
The average person would never think it was there. Yes I guess that makes me just average.

Is there room for a Smith & Wesson J frame snub nose or a Ruger LCP 380 in the hidden compartment?

My Town Car has cubbies in the door armrests like that Legend's. Kind of weird, honestly. Too small for an umbrella. Would just attract dumb stuff to rattle around IMO.

My old 87 Volvo 740 wagon had steering wheel that was set up for airbags but they didn't come with them that year. I could pop the center cover off and hide things in there. My buddy was with me one night when we decided at the last minute to hit the bar. He was a police officer at the time. He freaked out when I parked and popped the cover off off the steering wheel to retrieve my .380 and holster.

I knew there was a hidden compartment in a Mini's dashboard before I ever owned one. It looks like a trim piece between the vents and above the much larger glovebox. When you press on the "trim" the Glockbox cover swings open. I usually keep a banana in there.

We owned my wife's car, a 2006 Mercedes, getting on for a year. Had the usual slot for a CD player and was used regularly. My son stopped by and being a curious sort, was exploring the buttons on the dash. All of a sudden, a compartment opened and presented a cartridge to load multiple CDs. We all screamed and laughed. Gives James Bond's DB7 a run for the money!

Once again one of my favorite sayings applies...."You don't know what you don't know".

On my previous Volt: I can't remember how long it took me to discover this handy umbrella nook in the front door pocket but once I did I immediately stuck my in-car mini guy in there. It felt like driving a poor man's electric Rolls Royce!
volt umbrella.jpg

Back