HID xenons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Projector headlight housings are very nice, even nicer with HIDs, but are not required for HIDs in some cases. My parents own a Lincoln LS with factory HIDs. The LS does not have projectors and the HIDs look great. I've noticed some other vehicles without projectors that look fine as well. I've ran aftermarket HIDs in my Supra with factory projectors for about 10 years, long before the cheap 70.00 kits. My first kit was a Philips and it was expensive to me(600.00).....I have McCulloch and Hella HIDs in the car now(low beams and fog lights), I highly recommend both brands. The Philips brand was a good kit as well, sold them to a friend and they are still going.....

Originally Posted By: 94supraonchrome
Projector headlight housings are very nice, even nicer with HIDs, but are not required for HIDs in some cases. My parents own a Lincoln LS with factory HIDs. The LS does not have projectors and the HIDs look great. I've noticed some other vehicles without projectors that look fine as well. I've ran aftermarket HIDs in my Supra with factory projectors for about 10 years, long before the cheap 70.00 kits. My first kit was a Philips and it was expensive to me(600.00).....I have McCulloch and Hella HIDs in the car now(low beams and fog lights), I highly recommend both brands. The Philips brand was a good kit as well, sold them to a friend and they are still going.....

Many cars, ie: early Lincoln LS & refreshed MKVIII, many of the older Lexus, Acura, Nissan Maxima, Infiniti, & BEnz do have reflector based HIDs. Keep in mind, the reflectors were designed for HID.

Likewise, not all projectors are suitable for HID drop-ins

They work great, and really light up the road at night.

HID.jpg

I just helped to install after-market *extremely cheap* (even cheaper than replacing the original bulb!) H1 HID on my brother's 7-series BMW. It came with incandescent projector headlamp, so conversion to HID was a reasonable choice. I insisted on 4500K. It was truly plug n play kit. Apart from having to bore a hole in the dust boot, it was a trivial job. I was also shocked at the quality of the kit. How manufacturer can build the entire kit and the seller can sell it under $30 and still make profit is beyond my comprehension. Let me put it this way; just the six AMP connectors will cost you more than $30, never mind the two HID bulbs, two integrated ballasts-igniters, and silicon wires. It is obvious that if a country is able to do that, they deserve to take over the world :)

Personally, all my cars have non-projector H4 and since I have too much respect for *other* motorists, I will NOT be installing HIDs in my vehicles even though it is so tempting.

- Vikas

Last edited:
I just installed a 55w 4500k HID kit on my Tahoe. I did it right and bought APC projector headlights so there is a nice cutoff. I might buy 3000k bulbs and see how much more yellow they are over the 4500k.

Anything over 5000k is actually producing less "usable" light.

Originally Posted By: KeithKman
I just installed a 55w 4500k HID kit on my Tahoe. I did it right and bought APC projector headlights so there is a nice cutoff. I might buy 3000k bulbs and see how much more yellow they are over the 4500k.

Technically 3000K also produces less light, as in order to get the yellow, the glass capsule is tinted.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Originally Posted By: KeithKman

Technically 3000K also produces less light, as in order to get the yellow, the glass capsule is tinted.

Interesting. I didn't know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back