HID failing - replace bulb or go LED?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by oldhp
These light "improvements" SUCK for on coming drivers. If I was a cop I'd impound every car I could. Even trucks with front leveling kits SUCK because they don't re-aim the headlights. Rant over....

Yeah, even after installing Silverstar Ultra - did not seem like much improvement with my projector low beams. That's when I realized my lights were aimed low - so set up marks on the garage door and worked them. I did raise the passenger side a bit higher of the two so when I get a blinding vehicle coming towards me - can always watch my RH road shoulder and not his lights.

Pretty good now and nobody is flashing me …

Originally Posted by 97prizm
Unless your vehicle was made for LEDs then don't install them. There are no aftermarket LEDs that plug and play.

This is the winner of the most ridiculous post of the day.

Originally Posted by user52165
Unless your vehicle was made for LEDs then don't install them. There are no aftermarket LEDs that plug and play.

Actually it isn't.

LED bulbs in enclosures that were not designed for them will always result in a worse beam pattern than stock. Technically putting LED or HID in an enclosure that was not designed for them is illegal as well.

Please put high efficacy halogen bulbs in or return to stock halogen bulbs, for safety and legal reasons.

also consider avoiding the Long Life halogens if you are looking for hotter and sharper beam. LL bulbs run a thicker filament and slightly lower temperature. The purists find the non-LL bulbs work with their housing better, at the expense of more frequent replacement. I posted an article discussing this a while ago. If I could go back and do it again, I would have tried this + new wiring harness before the hassle of swapping to projectors.

Originally Posted by cwilliamsws6
Literally all aftermarket LEDs are plug and play...

Originally Posted by Smokescreen

Actually it isn't.

LED bulbs in enclosures that were not designed for them will always result in a worse beam pattern than stock. Technically putting LED or HID in an enclosure that was not designed for them is illegal as well.

Please put high efficacy halogen bulbs in or return to stock halogen bulbs, for safety and legal reasons.

I think some of us are confusing the concept of "plug and play" with "efficient and effective when installed in a housing not originally designed for such".

Plug and play in the sense that you do not have to modify or change any other parts to make them "work". Again, here.. "work" means light up and put light on the road. It doesn't mean work well without blinding oncoming traffic. lol.

Best bulbs I found are those that mimic the original philips led retrofits for SE Asia market - I have Broview S7 series in H13 dual filament style bulb. They use high lux smaller Philips LEDs arranged in the pattern and placement of the filament they replace and have nice big aluminum heatsinks that stick on the back as opposed to fans that will eventually fail. Had them for 4 years now with lots of nighttime driving. They're an improvement over halogen (except GE Nighthawks for overall performance (but they burn out so fast!)) but still wish there was better color rendering as well as more spill to right side (but that would translate to more glare).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back