hi res security camera for home use, thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been having security problems in my subdivision for some time. Bought a Zyma? 8 camera system w/1 tb. HD, procrastinated, haven't installed it yet, but problems cropped up recently and I'm thinking of some higher res cameras to start install ASAP as soon as good day shines around here, even if just a temp install until spring. .E-bay have 4 lorex 660ltv res. w/better IR, I want what they call "license plate cameras" cv76624pk4b model, anyway comments? on getting a good enough picture to print or accurately view? and identify person. target location where vehicle is located is 20' from 70w metal halide overhead area security light, cameras would be 5-10 feet high, about 20' also from targets, and problem could be in daylight.. I will use other ORIGINAL cameras elsewhere but want this problem cured and willing to pay a little $$ to hook up to my equipment currently in box. Thanks.

(Link to your thing)
THe "660 tv lines resolution" is just "very good standard def analog video" and will be corrupted by a long cable run and the compression in your DVR.

If I were in your shoes, I'd set up the DVR and cameras you've got, but run a couple runs of Cat 5 ethernet wherever you go when you're wiring stuff up. You can send DC current over it too if need be.

For real high resolution, I'd get an IP camera, maybe something with motion sensing, alarm, and potentially the ability to zoom and follow motion. Leave your current unboxed system set up as a "wide shot" and redundancy.

I agree with the above advice.

My first recommendation would be to set the DVR channel to the highest quality settings (probably D1), a real time frame rate (15 or 20 FPS) and then plug a DVD player into the existing cables to get an idea of the absolute best case scenario.

If you want to keep your existing DVR, it probably wouldn't hurt to use shielded cable for the video (either coax or cat5 with baluns for connectors) and make a concerted effort to avoid electrical wiring.

Getting a readable image of a license plate at 20' will be tough. You'll want a camera with a larger sensor and a high focal length for the lens. It will result in a very narrow field of view but I don't know how else you'll get a clean image. One option would be to set wide angle cameras (3.6mm) for overview shots and then other cameras with higher focal length pointed at choke points for face and license plate images.

If you really want HD, high resolution images with a greater likelihood of identifying people/vehicles, digital (IP cameras) are probably the way to go. This is an expensive option but the results are absolutely amazing.

My system is an analog Swann DVR off of Amazon with a mix of cameras. The 1/3" CCD cameras are drastically better than the 1/4" CMOS. If you can ignore the cheesy name and webpage, I had a very good experience buying two (re-branded Dahua) cameras from http://www.securitycameraking.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back