Hi everyone! ZDDP question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone from Santa Maria CA! I'm a long time lurker to these forums and finally decided to sign up. I have a 69 bug as my DD and I currently run Amsoil 10w-30 classic car and hot rod oil. I've used this since the engine was new, but I am wondering if there is a safe alternative to the Amsoil. Seems like my engine likes the oil but I have heard that synthetics don't really like the air-cooled motors because they dont dissipate heat as well s Dino oils do. I know many use diesel for the zddp levels they carry, but is the zddp really that necessary for a flat tappet cam motor? Also I have noticed that diesels are reducing their zddp in some oils. Reason why I ask is because I have seen both opinions concerning zddp and flat tappet cams. Thanks everyone again and sorry if beat a dead horse concerning this subject.

Syn oil is made to resist heat and break down from heat better than conventional oil. As far as dissipating heat that would be more a condition of air flow or an oil cooler I would think. If you like the oil and it works well and it has high ZDDP wh no need to change.

Do you mean Amsoil Z Rod oil?

Last edited:
900 to 1,000 PPM is fine for a stock engine; if you run higher pressure springs due to more cam than 1,200 PPM is better.
10w30 Synthetic anything with 900 or better PPM is better than the oil we used back in the 60's.
I run Rotella T in my 68 L36 Corvette Roadster and 65 4-4-2.

If I am ever in those high compression, iron headded engines I will do a mild roller and be done with it.
By the way, they both run fine on wanna be, crappy, CA "Premium".

Valvoline ZR-1 would be a great oil. Comes in 10W-30 or 20W-50 both conventional and synthetic versions...plenty of ZDDP.
Yes, it is a "racing oil" but no, it is not a low detergent short interval oil.

Originally Posted by Onetor
Have you considered Redline? Bit expensive, but it will protect.

Thought about them also. However, I am trying to find a good oil from my FLAPS

in numerous vintage cars*** I use Mobil 1 0w-40 in cold weather and above 40 F I use Mobil 1 15w-50. Plenty of zinc / phosphorus in both of them for flat tappet engines. Never had any oiling issues.

Z

*** I've used those oils for 15-20 years in Jaguar e types, XK-120 & 150's, MGA's, Austin Healey 3000, Triumph TR-4 and 4a, and TR-6, VW Karmann Ghia's, Porsche 911's, Shelby Cobra, Shelby Mustangs, Sting Ray's. Those are just the ones I can think of on the spur of the moment.

If I lived i n CA, where Chevron is readily available, I would just run straight SAE 30 Delo 400 in a Beetle & save a few $ over an exotic synthetic, especially if it was never used in cold weather.

I've had three bugs. All three ran on Chevron Delo. The last two were 15W-40 version and they were running fine when I sold them.

30 grade might be a bit thin for that engine and Questa Grade on a summer day, etc.

ZDDP is not a big concern with the mild spring pressures in stock bug engines. The German/Mexican lifters and cams do not have the soft core issues present in some older USA V8's. I would not sweat the ZDDP as long as it was at least 800 PPM. Also be aware that the major refiners are using other chemistry to offset the drop in ZDDP. In Chevron's case I beleive it is some sort of organic calcium compound (HDEO). Their all fleet is CAT friendly, so I'd stay away from that one.

A top shelf SAE 30 HD (with no thin W end) is a viable alternative. Shell and Chevron both make good ones
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BrocLuno
I've had three bugs. All three ran on Chevron Delo. The last two were 15W-40 version and they were running fine when I sold them.

30 grade might be a bit thin for that engine and Questa Grade on a summer day, etc.

ZDDP is not a big concern with the mild spring pressures in stock bug engines. The German/Mexican lifters and cams do not have the soft core issues present in some older USA V8's. I would not sweat the ZDDP as long as it was at least 800 PPM. Also be aware that the major refiners are using other chemistry to offset the drop in ZDDP. In Chevron's case I beleive it is some sort of organic calcium compound (HDEO). Their all fleet is CAT friendly, so I'd stay away from that one.

A top shelf SAE 30 HD (with no thin W end) is a viable alternative. Shell and Chevron both make good ones
smile.gif

Thanks Broc. I dont go the Cuesta Grade, only south to Lompoc and back and zipping around Santa Maria. I was snooping around a bit online and found some motorcraft 10w-30 Diesel formula. Ill probably try this one next once I find the VOA. I used to run straight 30w back when I was at Nellis in 02, but that was 4 bugs ago. I have also noticed that VW Mexico recommended 15w-40 for all its aircooled beetles according to their owners manuals. I looked up what oil to use on thesamba, but it was 235 pages of people bithcing at each other and arguing. Ill keep everyone posted on what I go with after I finish off my Amsoil stock. BTW, I am also using a VW Mexico oil pump and filter combo, so my car actually does have a real oil filter as opposed to a strainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back