HF Vacuum gauge review

http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-pump-and-vacuum-tester-93547.html First of all, I support buying 'Murican, but i'm an auto tech student so money is kind of tight! Had to buy one quick so I could quit bothering the tool room for basic testing equipment all the time lol. Anyways, bought this tester for $15 (and it comes with regular tubing, not the weird pink tubing shown in the picture), and compared it to one of the Matco gauges at my college and got the same vacuum readings (on the same car), so it is pretty accurate for the price (It's about 1/4 of the price of the Matco gauge. Feels like it's good quality, so we'll see how it holds up and if I remember to, i'll update this after it's been put through it's paces in a few months smile

As a vacuum guage, it probably will work fine. As a fuel pressure gauge, maybe for carburetors, and early fuel injection. Most fuel injections systems now put out more than the 10 psi max of this gauge. Be careful.

That looks pretty robust to me and it has a rubber shock cover. My FP runs around 55 lbs on my Hyundais. The DI motors are of course many times higher pressure after the secondary fuel pump.

I have one of those, looks exactly the same. Not bought at Harbor Freight, I bought it around 1982-ish. Fuel-o-Vac I think is the brand (even says so on the HF gauge pic). It's unusable now since it leaks vacuum so much. It's great for checking for vacuum leaks.

My IS250 will go 1800psi to the injectors. Direct injection especially runs much higher pressures.

JC1

Originally Posted By: jsfalls
http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-pump-and-vacuum-tester-93547.html First of all, I support buying 'Murican, but i'm an auto tech student so money is kind of tight! Had to buy one quick so I could quit bothering the tool room for basic testing equipment all the time lol. Anyways, bought this tester for $15 (and it comes with regular tubing, not the weird pink tubing shown in the picture), and compared it to one of the Matco gauges at my college and got the same vacuum readings (on the same car), so it is pretty accurate for the price (It's about 1/4 of the price of the Matco gauge. Feels like it's good quality, so we'll see how it holds up and if I remember to, i'll update this after it's been put through it's paces in a few months smile
+1 on HF. Anytime I visit the US, I always make a trip to HF to add to my tool hoard. Selection is good as well as the prices. Most tools pay for themselves if you use them 4-5 times. Regards, JC.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I thought fuel pumps put out 40-100ish psi. This is only good to 10?
Well, what if you drive a carburated car? I agree with you; this is useless as a fuel pressure gauge. So get one of the MightyVac tool (or its clone) which has vacuum gauge and vacuum pump for about $30

jsfalls

I will agree its useless as a fuel pressure gauge, but all i'm needing at the moment is a vacuum gauge so can't beat $15 lol