HF Doing Away With 20% off Coupons?

Wow, I just checked hfqdb to see what they had on their site. There is a 10 percent with no exclusions.

I guess the current state of things they can afford to do this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210309-103847.jpg
    Screenshot_20210309-103847.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 13
In my opinion it’s worth joining the Inside Track Club which I am part of since my parents bought me a membership for my birthday last year. We get tons of insider coupons emailed to us that save tons of money. I saved $30 on a cordless ratchet and the thing works excellent and is a beast so it was worth having the membership just for that. But yes I heard they done away with the regular coupons.

Looks like they are pushing people to get a membership. This past weekend they had 30% off anything under 10$ or <20$ for Inside track. I was buying a lot of items under 10$ so it was really good for me.

I've noticed the 20% coupons have gone away and am still a little sad about the printed catalog being gone. That said the 20% coupons rarely applied to any of the 'good stuff' anyway. Now you just have to keep an eye out for a coupon on the specific item you're looking for. I'm wanting one for the 3pt quick hitch..

Here's the website I use:

HF is following companies like Bed, Bath and Beyond, with the only real way to get a discount or deal is to pay for a yearly membership (ln this case a Beyond + membership) Kohl’s is also doing this within a month or so. It helps them in two ways: more focused marketing- and building loyalty. Also another way to bring in income (like credit cards)

This is the way to keep the lights on in the B&M stores. Otherwise it would be wiser to just shop online....

I liked HF for hand tools at a reasonable price. I don't use the tools for a living so their quality was fine and the prices were right. Plus they had a lot of "odd" hand tools at good prices when you needed them. At least they did previously. I went to the local HF last week and it had visibly less stock than previously and the prices seemed to be getting up there. I bought 2 pneumatic 10" tire/wheels to replace the original solid tire/wheels on my generator and aTaiwanese made vice grips to hold the hood up on my 2005 Explorer. The tires/wheels were ~$6/ea and the vice grips were ~$7. They pushed the Inside Track Membership but at ~$30/yr I don't buy enough to make it worthwhile. I'll still shop there for hand tools and odd items though.

Their 20% off coupons are far and few lately. As a result, they've lost just about all of my business. I'd buy disposable gloves from them and an occasional tool. Their prices are climbing as well. I had a feeling this was part of their strategy. I haven't shopped there in several months now, and as long as their 20% off coupons remain far and few so will I.

Wow, I just checked hfqdb to see what they had on their site. There is a 10 percent with no exclusions.

I guess the current state of things they can afford to do this.
It was 20% IF you are an Inside Track member ($30). Probably would pay for itself over time, but I'm not buying a lot of tools right now.

Stinks that the 20% coupons are gone, but still plenty of good deals to be had. I don't think I've regretted any of my purchases there. Don't get why people "avoid" them and don't like their stuff. Wondering what you guys use instead, and how much you pay.

I feel like they want to go upscale. They've been rolling out more expensive stuff lately--I know, I know, plenty of cheap stuff on the rack, but still, lots of ads for the higher end stuff. Not sure they went into the business expecting to do that someday, but not really surprised, they probably cornered all that could be had on the cheap market, now to keep growing they have to go after other markets.

Doesn't bother me. I like buying stuff on sale but these days I buy when I need it, and when I need it, I'm saving money over paying someone else to do the job--I still feel like I'm ahead of the game. But I'm also starting to think of buying elsewhere, for some people "life's too short for cheap beer" and for myself, I'm starting to get to "life's too short for cheap tools".

JCPenney tried this once.. doing away with coupons but lowering in store prices across the board.

Didn't work. The story still is a case study in biz school books today.

Back