Hey I found GC but..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I finally found GC in my neck of the woods. It's not in any Walmarts near me, but I found it at the Canadian tire store near my work.
So it only comes in the 0w30 flavour. All the other Castrols in the same type of bottle are "Made in the US". But I also found a Castrol Syntec xxxxx ( I can't remember the rating or weight of it ) but it was a "Made in Belgium" What's that all about.

And Yep, I bought one bottle just to see it for myself ( I'm at the first stage of an Auto-RX treatment so it'll be a while before I even think about synthetic oil ) But I had to see if it was green and find out how it smelled. I even got my wife to get a whiff of it, and she thought I was a freak.
Anyways I'll bug you all much later if it's an oil for me.

quote:

Originally posted by kcryan:
hmmm so who knows the full story behind BC

I never could get a straight story from a Belgian guy on that oil; my friend told me I should not be surprised at that because it is well known that this Belgian waffles...

LOL
lol.gif

BC is interesting stuff. The research I have done on it and stuff I have read on BITOG indicates it COULD be a Group II or Group III oil with "enhancements." HOWEVER, the bottles say FULL SYNTHETIC. Now is this Castrol North America's application of the term synthetic or is this indeed a Grp IV/V oil? I, for sure, don't know. I have not checked to see if there are any UOAs on it; I beleive there is at least one VOA.

Pscholte. Now you think this oil is
GRP II. Come on boys. Go to the Castrol
Belgium, France and South African sites
and you'll all see that this oil is the
same as the Castrol TXT Softec 5w40 oil.
It is called a synthetic in those countries.
Do you guys think that Castrol Belgium
would produce another oil for North America
only. NOT. This has to meet long drain specs
and keep slug prone VW engines clean. Why
would VW not want a sythetic in their engines?
BTW, this oil smells like sweet Canadian
maple syrup that you put over Belgian waffles.
grin.gif
cheers.gif

I have been beginning to really wonder about the BC, especialy since the Green seems to be going away. If it is a true PAO based oil, could be a good replacement for the GC as far as wear goes. I may have to look at some UOA on it. Maybe we could look at getting this checked next if it seems it could be good? Only possible issue is the thicker 40 weight, but is it a thick or thin 40 wt?

quote:

Originally posted by 2KBMW:
Pscholte. Now you think this oil is
GRP II. Come on boys. Go to the Castrol
Belgium, France and South African sites
and you'll all see that this oil is the
same as the Castrol TXT Softec 5w40 oil.
It is called a synthetic in those countries.
Do you guys think that Castrol Belgium
would produce another oil for North America
only. NOT. This has to meet long drain specs
and keep slug prone VW engines clean. Why
would VW not want a sythetic in their engines?
BTW, this oil smells like sweet Canadian
maple syrup that you put over Belgian waffles.
grin.gif
cheers.gif

I have totally reversed course on this one and am accepting that it is Fully Synthetic just as it says. Since BC is so sweet instead of eating my words, I will joyfully drink them!
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back