Hext bolt alternative to Torx bolt

That's more often due to using a poorly made tool to remove it with. Are you using a Harbor Freight torx socket or bit by any chance? And are you sure it's not a Torx Plus?
I don't know what tools the mechanic is using but this is the second time it has happened and ONLY with this one. Since I supply all the parts (only for fluid changes), I am looking for an alternative to it.

First time I’ve heard of Torx stripping more than Hex. Iirc torx was created to essentially eliminate the problem of stripping present in hex fasteners under high torque. The only time I’ve heard of people regularly stripping torx is when they use too small a bit, which can easily happen since torx sizes are weird and it’s easy to use an undersized bit without noticing if you’re not careful.

Iirc torx was created to essentially eliminate the problem of stripping present in hex fasteners under high torque
Exactly, this is my (albeit limited) understanding as well, but this particular bolt is notorious. It corrodes very quickly due to the location (close to the wheel well). This seems to be a common problem with this bolt on all Subarus. I picked up the OEM Torx bolt yesterday and the dealership mechanic confirmed. I am going to get a hex head bolt and give both to the mechanic and let him choose which one to install.

I don't know what tools the mechanic is using but this is the second time it has happened and ONLY with this one. Since I supply all the parts (only for fluid changes), I am looking for an alternative to it.

Thank you, everyone.

Are there any brick-and-mortar specialty fasteners stores or only online? Definitely not HD or Lowes but maybe Ace Hardware?

Considering the location of this plug and how quickly it corrodes, dealing with it is always a nightmare. This plug is well known to cause headaches. The Torx head strips quickly. Hence, the decision to replace it. Wonder if a regular external hex head can't handle 36.9 ft-lb of torque.

From my limited experience I've heard people who don't have a Torx bit will instead try to use a Hex and end up stripping the bolt. Torx by design can handle a lot more torque than Hex.

Subaru plugs are usually 1.5 pitch check it with a thread pitch gauge. Dimple has a 18x1.5x12 magnetic hex head plug.

Trav is pointing you to a really good lead. I run Dimple drain plugs on all our cars, engines, transmissions, and diffs. Dimple makes an extremely high quality drain plug. Buy with 100% confidence.

Scott

Back