He's Dead Jim! Engine Warranty Denied! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP, you really should consult a lawyer. You shouldn't be paying a dime for repair because you are still under manufactures warranty. If MB can prove WIX is at fault, WIX should cover the cost of engine replacement. The link below is who my friend hired for his Subaru lemon. The law firm provids free consultation. I suggest you give them a call.

THE BICKEL LAW FIRM, INC.
701 B Street, Suite 1200
San Diego, CA 92101
Telephone: 619.374.4100
Facsimile: 619.231.9040
www.bickellawfirm.com

-TTVR4

Originally Posted By: porschepilot
I have the filter and Wix will grab it on Tuesday. In the mean time the dealer is installing a new engine complete and doing a few other bonus work. Because of the situation, the Service Director is REALLY helping with the cost guys! In truth for some reason that filter was sucked inwards and compressed which seems to have starved the bottom end of oil? It threw 2 rods. I also may have been an installer error? The nice thing is the engine will have a full warranty for 3 years 36k miles. Warranty engine would only have gone till October.

Let see what Wix lab shows us for fun?

Going with a lawyer and all that [censored] will be $$$ plus that filter it seems could have been the culprit?

You must have some issues understanding how things work. First the dealer does not make the decision what is covered. The manufacture decides what is covered. Second any fees are paid by the party a judgement is against. Third Wix is the OEM filter for Mercedes-Benz.

Speaking as an attorney and a retired judge, I would not pay a dime; someone else is responsible- NOT you.

I'm confused. OP posts that dealer says oil filter caused catastrophic damage to engine under warranty and no doubt wants tens of thousands of dollars to repair. Wants to know if dealer is right. BITOG overwhelmingly says dealer is wrong and either MB or WIX or Indy Shop is responsible. OP disregards all advice and pays dealer but feels good because of a "discount" on work? Or am I missing something?

^^^^Yeah, many variables here and imo little confirmed as fact. Cartridge 'appears' to be correct application, while not pretty, not proven to be cause of failure. Who knows what the indy shop did, but apparently didn't even write down cartridge part number on invoice. Probably other than dealer explanation, we'll never know the "cause".

I suppose as long as the OP is satisfied, all that matters.

I’m confused too. Seems like a roughly accurate summary of what we know.

I feel like there almost has to be more to the story. I suppose there is a point that you have so much money or what you do is so lucrative that something like this is not worth the fight, but since IME MB engines start at about $15,000.00 it is hard to imagine that. Down time can be expensive too, so perhaps OP elected to get the truck repaired and fight it out later.

We also don’t know the specs on the Sprinter, it could be anything from a $40,000 cargo van to a $200,000 Airsteam (or several other brands) Coach.

I do hope the OP continues to update us on the situation... Based on what is here the dealer has already said enough to hang themselves based on the MMWA.

Anyway...

I have the filter and Wix will grab it on Tuesday. In the mean time the dealer is installing a new engine complete and doing a few other bonus work. Because of the situation, the Service Director is REALLY helping with the cost guys! In truth for some reason that filter was sucked inwards and compressed which seems to have starved the bottom end of oil? It threw 2 rods. I also may have been an installer error? The nice thing is the engine will have a full warranty for 3 years 36k miles. Warranty engine would only have gone till October.

Going with a lawyer and all that [censored] will be $$$ plus that filter it seems could have been the culprit?

How did the dealer decide to do the warranty work? I thought they were denying it?

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111

How did the dealer decide to do the warranty work? I thought they were denying it?

It sounded to me that the dealer was charging for the work but giving the OP a "discount."
Some deal...

Thanks again all and wanted to updated and clarify now and fill in some blanks since I put a complete new engine in.

I bought this car used non running. It was originally owned by Cox Cable fleet. I had been bought and sold quite a few times threw dealer auctions before I bought it. Since I did not have any records, I have little to fight with. Thanks for the lawyer link TTVR4. I used to have a VR4 BTW with 18k miles 15 years ago. Dealing with a lawyer will ad up quick and not worth the risk for me. The head management fix the engine and more at little profit which was not worth it by far. As I mentioned my relative works at a MBZ dealer but they don't do Sprinter vans. He helped me out and so did top management. When the rods came out they also hit the starter which shorted the who electric system. We replaced quite a bit of extras at cost guys. Bad part is someone changed the Vin coded ECU and ignition at some point so that is connected to the Airbag light. I'll have to figure out what to do about that later and the traction control module as well. For now though I have a new warranty one the engine and it is brand new COMPLETE. I though it was just going to be a short block but the whole thing including turbos and fuel system is new. In reason I bought the van and wanted it so bad was near new still. I had nice racks inside and 120v outlets plus USB and 12V all over for plugging in equipment. I'm going to start installing fire sprinklers as a new career. This van is specious and diesel. It also has 2 drop down ladder holders or other gear. LED lights and spot lights plus more!

I learned a lot and will be using OEM filters and MBZ oil 229.52 to make sure I have no issues. It's breaking in now but did not add any brake in fluid due to fear? Also the new engine is filled at the factory so I assume they may be adding some sort of break in oil??

Well that does explain some things. I’m glad you got it taken care of.

I think your plan to use OEM filters and rated oil is a good one. It would be interesting to hear what (if any) response you get from WIX (M+H).

There is a limited time in which you can edit your posts. If you still are in that time period allowed, log in and then look just below the post that you want to edit. You will see buttons such as Reply, Quote, Quick Reply, etc. If you can edit the post, you should see an Edit button there. If you cannot see it, the time allotted for editing the reply has elapsed. If you do see it, click on the Edit button and then the browser will open up a new window allowing you to make any changes to your post that you want.

EDIT: Like right now, after posting this, I do see the Edit button just to the left of those other buttons I identified. After some time, though, that edit button will disappear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Well that does explain some things. I’m glad you got it taken care of.

I think your plan to use OEM filters and rated oil is a good one. It would be interesting to hear what (if any) response you get from WIX (M+H).

Yes I will. Since the filter looks to be sucked in showing signs that oil was not flowing properly? Hopefully Wix will agree that it caused the engine to fail?

Interesting read. I buy fleet vehicles at times since most are very well maintained and have a auto parts side business. But this is another reason why I don't touch MB/Daimler products. $$$$$ for maintenance and lots of issues with reliability.

That's why a lot of companies/fleets went to GM 2500/3500 vans once the E-series cargo vans were discontinued in 2014.

Dave

Last edited:
Since the filter looks to be sucked in showing signs that oil was not flowing properly? Hopefully Wix will agree that it caused the engine to fail?

I doubt they will. There were no signs of media failure that could have broke a piece of media off the filter that could go into the engine and cause oiling problems. If the filter was clogged, that's not WIX's fault. And if the filter bypass valve worked correctly it shouldn't have starved the engine of oil.

^^^^ Fwiw, I agree with your assessment Zee. And after reading 'the rest of the story', I considerate it less likely now that the filter was or would be found to be the proximate cause of whatever failure occurred. As noted, seen anecdotes posted with cartridges in similar type shape, and no similar failure reported. My .02

Hello everyone. I have a 2013 Sprinter Van with a 3.0 Diesel. It has 26k miles and the engine threw a rods and made hole in the block.

Dealer blamed this collapsed aftermarket filter to it's not covered under warranty.

Does this look like it could have caused this to happen?

What do I do?

Get a lawyer and the manufacturer of the filter involved. If the filter was spec'd for that engine, one of them should pay. Or file a small claims lawsuit against both and let them sort out who is to blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back