Here's a weird one. 06 Accord V6 loud pop on wide open throttle shift. Video.

So, this started after swapping the deteriorating factory intake for a short ram cold air setup. Occurs more often in cold weather but it's hit or miss and much less likely to happen than not happen. It's pretty loud and has been doing it for years without a consequence. I've searched around before and saw others online with the same complaint but the Honda forums couldn't muster up the collective brain power to even understand what the people are talking about.

It's definitely not motor or trans mounts.

I believe it's the throttle body slapping shut real fast during whatever transmission protection Honda has built into the tune. It's seems to briefly suspend power during the shift to reduce wear and tear. It is absolutely related to the short cold air intake being on the car.

Only once has it done it on the 2/3 shift and that happened going downhill. Downhill acceleration seems to increase it happening.

My friend and I have talked about putting a micro camera into the intake to see if we can figure it out. This car is in great condition and has been in the family since it was just a few years old.

Me? .................. hang a good logging/graphing scanner off the thing and confirm your suspicion re throttle being slammed shut .............. alternatively log all ECU and TCU parameters during such a happening and look at what changed in sympathy or just before the gear change.

If all the Honda boffins so far couldn't help you I think that is the only real solution ...............

Mine used to do that after I installed a cone filter intake too. It sounded exactly like that and occurred at the same time as yours. I never got to the bottom of it either so ended up removing the A/M setup. Mine was an automatic transmission.

Everything went back to normal after that.

This was all way before my bitog days.

Last edited:
Sounds like a spit out the intake to me. Your theory about millisecond power cut during shift seems to fit. That would either be injector or ignition cutoff during on power shift. then an intake runner pop as power resumes and your CAI is not muffling it like the OEM would.

This car is automatic FYI, I think a couple think it's a manual.

In true BITOG fashion, what oil are you using in this sweet car?:D

Running the old formula Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in the grey/black bottle. 5w20 for the winter. Fram Xtra filter.

Good rule of thumb: If it "backfires" (pops) at the intake, it's too lean. If it pops out the exhaust, it's too rich.
I'd say you have a momentary lean condition on shifting at high RPM.

Cold weather increasing it would support that theory, denser air would promote a lean condition. It sounds like a backfire to me but I thought that was a strange occurrence. Maybe I'll run a tank of 93 through it and see if it stops.

Last edited:
Makes me wish mine was the V6 model!:D

It's a great engine/trans to drive. The fuel economy of the J30 accord isn't great though. It gets about 20 to 22 max running mostly rural and highway with no city driving and some town mixed in. Straight highway it's very efficient. Averaged 33 on a long road trip.

Me? .................. hang a good logging/graphing scanner off the thing and confirm your suspicion re throttle being slammed shut .............. alternatively log all ECU and TCU parameters during such a happening and look at what changed in sympathy or just before the gear change.

If all the Honda boffins so far couldn't help you I think that is the only real solution ...............

That's a great idea, I have a scanner that will do this and it never crossed my mind. Now I need to get it back from the last person who borrowed it.

Ditch the CAI and re-install the factory air intake. I don't know why you haven't done this yet.. Pop goes away, its the intake. I cannot fathom what the noise is without observing it in person.

But god **** that engine sounds mean!

Ditch the CAI and re-install the factory air intake. I don't know why you haven't done this yet.. Pop goes away, its the intake. I cannot fathom what the noise is without observing it in person.

But god **** that engine sounds mean!

OEM intake was falling apart at the flexible joints, it went in the trash years ago.

Well, maybe, but I think there are a whole bunch more variables than that. Like compression ratio...etc. Octane is not measured in an open environment.
Give it a try and see if it makes a difference.
Let us know.

The J-series V6 in the Accord is designed to run on regular 87 octane, so I can't see how switching to premium would solve this issue. My bet is that the OE intake is muffling that noise, and you only hear it with the "cold air" intake. I'd suggest getting a cheap junkyard OE intake to see if the issue goes away.

Back