Here Ya Go....Mitsubishi WRC's Switch to Mobil 1 Delivers Instant Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1

quote:

The Mitsubishi team first tested Mobil 1 in 2004, and recorded a power increase from their engine without changing any engine parts. The improved performance of the Lancer 05 WRC Rally car is in part due to a new engine for which the team tested a variety of Mobil 1 formulations. Supplying samples of rally-proven motor oils to ExxonMobil technicians for post-event analysis has allowed Mitsubishi to identify the optimum formulation of Mobil 1 for the WRC 05. The team requires a motor oil that delivers increased performance without affecting engine reliability - a key factor in 2005 with the introduction of a two-rally rule for engines (requiring a single engine to last two championship rounds).

"A technology partner like ExxonMobil is a vital component to any successful WRC team," said Isao Torii, Head of Motorsport, Mitsubishi Motors. "Our tests revealed Mobil 1 products deliver a performance and reliability boost in a variety of conditions and temperatures. Our cars perform better, for longer, using Mobil 1."

"Mitsubishi Motors Motor Sports is just one of the many teams to recognise the performance and reliability benefits from using Mobil 1."

Including lower wear metals.....

Another Mobil 1 ad.
rolleyes.gif

""We would have to spend considerably more money developing and tuning engine components to deliver the same performance boost achieved by simply switching to Mobil 1," said Yasou Tanaka, Technical Director, Mitsubishi Motors Motor Sports."
lol.gif

That's classic!
thumbsdown.gif

[ October 15, 2005, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: vad ]

Haaaaa. Wonder if all those racing teams, like the ones using M1/RL are really concerned about all those wear metals we see here. LOL. *The teams are not using off the shelf M1 and most likely XOM is supplying them with custom formulations much like F1/NASCAR.

Supplying samples of rally-proven motor oils to ExxonMobil technicians for post-event analysis has allowed Mitsubishi to identify the optimum formulation of Mobil 1 for the WRC 05.

rally proven motor oils would include motull 300V

Redline would probably give similar results. The Mobil 1 racing oil is probably laiden with moly, just like the Redline is.

I read that motorcycle oil study you (buster) linked yesterday and they also said that certain oils would boost horsepower. Lighter viscosities and lots of moly should do the trick.

The PAO base could resist shearing, even if it is a light 30 it would probably stay a light 30. What is the viscosity of the Mobil 1 racing oil? Unless I missed it it's not mentioned in the piece. Probably a very light oil with gobs of moly--my guess.
smile.gif

Dan

Don't expect much detergent in true racing oil either. I imagine that Mobil 1 formulation is about as close to the stuff you see at Wally World as Mobil jet turbine oil (read name only).

Anybody here with Quaker State Q synthetic oil?
It's the same idea used in their "Unleash All Your Horses" ads..HP sells oil.
OT..What the heck is HEAT ACTIVATED PERFORMANCE anyways?
dunno.gif

HEAT ACTIVATED PERFORMANCE is additives that don't properly do their job until they've been heated up for a few hundred miles.
A diligent reader of the BITOG forums will note that some literature cited indicates that motor oil's performance is WORSE when brand new than when the oil is 1000 miles old. During the first 100 miles or so the additive package hasn't been activated properly.
Some of the academic papers we've seen actually have the scientists running virgin oil for so many hours in test engines prior to testing to make their results closer to what the long-term performance of a given oil has.
Basically, advertising HEAT ACTIVATED PERFORMANCE is Quaker State putting out a bunch of ** advertising hooey.
It's like advertising that your oil "lubricates, and has special additives to reduce wear and increase engine life and cleanliness". Sure, the oil does all they're advertising, but all of its competitors do too.

Hey, my experience was that my engine initially felt a little sluggish when I switched to GC from M1. But after a thousand miles or so it was both strong and quiet. With M1 it got noisier.

I thought one of the experts like doug hillary said that this is a myth because it would only take a few minutes for additives to be activated by heat.

I can't remember the thread in which this statement was made, and my apologies to doug if this was not his statement.

I also switched to mobil 1 and during the first 500 miles or so i could "hear those valves from miles" to the point i though of taking my car somewhere to get it looked at (01 honda prelude sh)

is it normal for the "extra noise"? still only 620 miles after change to m1 synth. at wallmart

Hi Jim,
it takes time, variously, to "feel" the effect of new oil types in some engine families - many people cannot detect a difference at all and others believe in instant "gratification"!
I have experienced both over time and in various engines

A viscosity change from a 20w-50 to a 5w-30 would be noticed by most people on here. It is more evident in engines with auto valve lash components, hydraulic cam timing adjusters and etc. and perhaps turbochargers

Heat activated additives are typically those with an anti-wear bias and "common" to most engine oils. It is my understanding that they commence to operate more effectively each time the oil heats up and gets above about 40C according to the formulation. (In one test programme with Castrol "R" synthetic oils in light diesel engines we decided that 65C was always above the "non-fully-active" zone)
Of course the molecular structure of the base oil plays a significant role based on temperature too. This is why a change from a mineral oil to a synthetic oil of the "same" viscosity will often reflect a lower oil pressure at idle. The oil's flow rate will still be the same but will generate less "system" pressure - some people feel disturbed at this but it is not too meaningful in most cases

But I'm no "expert" - I just probably have too much to say at times!

By the way I love Calgary - a great City!

Doug

i read somewhere that F1 use a PAO 2?
PAO 4
PAO 3 being more refined esters and synthetic glycols,silicones, Alkylbenzenes etc...
PAO 2 oil costing around R400 a quart...don't know what that translate into...

quote:

From FTM, Redline would probably give similar results.

Clearly this is a wild guess. Although I made the same guess. (Really I did, Really!). Bunches of Moly.

The problem with this praise of Mobil 1 is that the oil they formulated for Mitsubishi probably has very little similarity to the M1 that we all can purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back