Here is the situation....

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my parents have a beat to [censored] poorly maintained 97 F150 with a 4.6. The truck gets used for a variety of tasks from people moving to trailer towing. I was using the truck last weekend towing a trailer and noticed some upper end noise coming out of the engine when it really started getting worked...

I know that oil can't make up for massive abuse and neglect, but what would you guys runs at the next change which is coming up quick.

Originally Posted By: kustomizingkid
I'm tempted to do a full ARX treatment but my cheap [censored] parents won't pay...

Then as a Good Son, you should pay for it.
55.gif

ARX would be nice but at 20.00 a bottle, that would suck footing the bill. I would say run any oil, maybe a couple of short OCI's. That's probably more than your parents would do on their own.

How much money do you want to throw at a poorly maintained 12 year old truck? And what is the problem, anyway? "upper end noise"?

Switch to Maxlife.

It's got a light upper end tick...

Maybe I'm just used to my dead quiet 4.6's... but the engine sounds terrible in the truck....

Oh, I see what you're saying now. How many miles does the truck have?

+1 on the quiet MarkVIII motor
grin2.gif

If they can't be bothered with servicing it properly then why should you?

Now if you want to experiment for fun, get some ARX and use a quality dino oil like Pennzoil YB for the clean/rinse phases and then post your results!
20.gif

leave it alone, you change the oil, the engine fails. guess whose fault it is? your dad will give you a
spankme2.gif

My only concern is that I use the truck occasionally... I just have a very hard time driving poorly maintained vehicles.

Change the oil to maxlife, pay for it, enjoy the truck when you drive it, and enjoy your parents while you have them.

I agree with the folks that say foot the bill, parents do a ton for us.

Giving back in this manner lets them know your grateful for the use of the truck.

Just my two cents

Try a pint of MMO about 1000 miles before the next OC. Its worked wonders for us over the years.

AD

I'm tempted to do a full ARX treatment but my cheap [censored] parents won't pay...

Try a couple bottles of CD2 "Oil Detergent" (in the yellow bottle) or try Rislone Engine Treatment (not the "oil stabilizer") along with an oil change...

That's a legendary, stout engine. I've seen those things take serious abuse without skipping a beat...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back