Hengst vs. UFI

I've discovered that my Buick Encore with a 1 4L turbo engine that has two possible filters for the same engine. One is for the Hengst housing and is manufactured by several companies. The second possibility is for the UFI housing with versions being made only by AC Delco and Fram.
You can likely guess which one I have. The Hengst version made by Delco can be bought for $6.99 all day long at any Walmart. The UFI filter is not at Walmart and is twice as much at parts stores with few choices. It's odd that one of the filters would be so much cheaper and readily available. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

I think you can just get the Hengst cap and filter and swap over
You cant just swap the cap, the filter stand is different. You would need to change the whole filter stand/oil cooler ass'y under the turbo to the hengst setup

The difference between the two setups is that the UFI filter element has the bypass valve in the filter element. THe Hengst setup has the bypass valve in the filter stand. Using the hengst cap and filter on the UFI stand would result in the oil bypassing the filter due to no bypass valve

You cant just swap the cap, the filter stand is different. You would need to change the whole filter stand/oil cooler ass'y under the turbo to the hengst setup

The difference between the two setups is that the UFI filter element has the bypass valve in the filter element. THe Hengst setup has the bypass valve in the filter stand. Using the hengst cap and filter on the UFI stand would result in the oil bypassing the filter due to no bypass valve

ok

I thought the Hengst bypass was in the cap, sorry

Where is the Encore engine sourced from? I think the original UFI filter is on Amazon for $10 something so a little more, but not impossibly more.

Where is the Encore engine sourced from? I think the original UFI filter is on Amazon for $10 something so a little more, but not impossibly more.
They're $13.99 at the local AZ for AC Delco. It's not going to break the bank. It's just that the other version only costs half as much.

sopususer above linked to a recent post regarding this subject. ONE VEHICLE HAVING MULTIPLE FILTER LISTINGS.

One poster suggested writing a notice somewhere under the hood. BIG THANKS FOR THAT. Nothing could save more time.

I have written, "17mm / 6.1 qt." in yellow paint pen....for oil.
...............and, "24mm / This saves time and mechanical types react happily when they see these notes....frequently when eyeing my cars for sale.

Is it Micky Mouse or too Boy Scout for you? Either way, just get over it and do it if your vehicle has any odd quirk.
Most vehicles don't need such underhood notices.

Rock Auto sells ACDELCO PF2263G and FRAM CH12246 for $7 and change.... UFI is fairly uncommon

Back