Helped grandmother buy a new C-Max

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just in case it wasn't already obvious, yes I still have the Focus ;D

Anyway, my grandmother recently decided she wanted to trade in her 2010 Edge with 61k miles on it. She drives about 50-a 60 miles a day to/from work. This is her second Edge. I've tried to convince her before that there is no reason for her to be driving such a big car. She almost never has more than one passenger, and doesn't really ever carry anything big around. Well, last Saturday morning she told me that she was going to buy a new Edge. I sighed, and asked her if she even looked at any of the other options on the lot. She said no.

I asked why not. She said because she has hip problems (had one replacement already, another one probably will be needed in the next few years) and that all other cars are too low for her to easily get in and out of. I asked if she even tried. She said no again. She had basically walked into the dealer, said she wanted a new car, the salesman saw she had an edge, and basically just showed her a new edge. But as I said, there is no reason for her to have one, she needed something with better gas mileage.

So I took her to a different dealer on Sunday to look. I told the salesman what I was looking for, something that maybe was a little higher and got good gas mileage. She is a Ford girl through and through, her deceased brother worked out at Avon Lake Assembly for many years. I had originally planned to have her look at the Escape, and even the Fusion. After I told him the story, he asked if she had considered the C-max. It was like an epiphany moment for me. I hadn't even considered the C-max previously. They had one in the showroom, and she was happy with how high the seats were to get in and out of. She liked the interior, and how it looked.

The salesman found one for us to test drive, she drove it around. She really liked it, though she found the transmission odd. (This woman has no concept of anything mechanical, she barely knows what a transmission is, let alone the different types) which I found amusing, because it is a hybrid with an eCVT. She liked it enough to get one.

She got a really good deal on it. 60 months, 0% interest through Ford Motor Credit, and she got a little less than she wanted for her trade, but she is the type to buy extended warranties, so they gave her a significant break on that (ie according to him, they gave it to her for cost. He seemed honest enough, I'm pretty good at telling when I'm being lied to/swindled. Anyway, she was able to sign the paperwork and drive it off the lot that afternoon.

We went for a drive, and I drove it for a bit. I have to say, I'm pretty surprised. I wasn't expecting much. It drives pretty nice. It has a little gauge on the instrument cluster that shows the current power usage, if you are in EV mode, or on gas and whether you are charging the battery, or using the electric motor to help the gas engine. The amount of throttle you can give and keep in EV mode changes depending on the battery charge, and it also has a little "game" of sorts to help you improve your braking, so you use the regenerative brakes more.

It was pretty fun to drive, it's built on the Focus platform, but it's a little longer, higher, and the seats are higher up. There is a ton of headroom in the front, and in the back. Legroom in the back is quite good, way better than the Focus is. It's also built at the Michigan Assembly plant, same as my Focus is. Driving it to be efficient was actually fun, trying to modulate your foot so that it's either in EV mode, or the engine is charging the battery, to allow you to run in EV mode more. It also was smooth, and very quiet. The visibility was really good, with a huge windshield, windows in the A-pillar, and all around bigger windows with a relatively low beltline. It's an SE, and also has the panoramic sunroof (it's huge, and really opens up the interior feel of the car) Myford touch, and heated cloth seats and heated side mirrors

Surprisingly, the CVT wasn't bad at all (this is a planetary CVT iirc, same as Toyotas. In fact I think most of the Hybrid powertrain is from the same manufacturer as Toyotas, as the car has 20% Japanese parts content) It did what I wanted it to do, and I think the extra torque from the electric motor helped when needed.

One thing that would take a lot of getting used to (for me anyway) is the fact that when you turn the key and "Start" the car, most of the time the engine will not start. It will flash a little "ready to drive" on the instrument panel. If you sit and "idle" with the A/C and radio on, the battery will discharge, and eventually will kick the gas engine on to charge the battery, and eventually shut back off again. It's a little loud when the engine is on, charging the battery at idle. It's not so much engine noise, so much as you can hear the motor generator itself. I found it fun to drive, and try to keep it in EV mode as much as possible. Transition from EV mode to gas and back to EV is seamless, the only telltale sign the engine is running is the thrum of the engine when it kicks on. There is no jerkiness, or any other sign that you are switching from pure EV to gasoline and back again.

At the end of a trip, when you turn off the ignition, it grades you on braking performance, how many EV only miles, and how many regenerative miles you drove. It's pretty neat, I enjoyed driving it greatly just for that. They manage to make it fun to drive. It's also not lacking for power. When you need it, and put your foot down, the CVT is very responsive, and the extra torque from the electric motor really helps the 140HP Atkinson Cycle 2.0L get up to speed. I think this is going to be a really good car for her. She doesn't drive faster than 60mph on the highway (ugh) so she should be able to get excellent fuel economy out of it. Way better than the Edge she has been driving for years, at any rate.

It comes with a 3/36k bumper to bumper, 5y/60k powertrain, and 8y/100k on hybrid components (battery, motor, etc) She bought the extended 75k bumper to bumper warranty, which also includes towing.

Am I sold? Yes. I have to say I am. If I was in the market for a new car, I would have zero problem spending my money on one of these. I am extremely impressed, well done Ford.
If you have any questions, I'll try to answer. Here are some pics.
qdj02Ig.jpg

nDN29Zy.jpg

HCT4r3l.jpg

3An3sEF.jpg

a5gqyza.jpg

tzfTG9K.jpg

kWU418W.jpg

OlsR4vd.jpg

dmouayn.jpg

ooowLGJ.jpg

L5z1545.jpg

Those C-Max are nice! I wish they'd release a conventional powertrain one with manual transmission - a Focus wagon of sorts!

Only issue - no spare tire or even donut with them!

Here is what the brake coach looks like

2013_C-Max_Hybrid_efficiency-leaves-brake-coach.jpg

It's not shown here, but as you drive, if you are in EV mode, it will show you a little blue box around the one on the left, showing how much throttle you can give before it engages the gas engine. Also, if you go above the 2nd bar on that graph, it will start discharging the battery to drive the car. Out of EV, but within that second line, and it will charge the battery from the gas engine.

CMaxEnergiEmpower.jpg

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Those C-Max are nice! I wish they'd release a conventional powertrain one with manual transmission - a Focus wagon of sorts!

Honestly, I wouldn't want a conventional powertrain in this. The Hybrid system is so well done, and usable, it's not frustrating at all. Even the CVT impresses me.

Let us know how its holds up after 100K + miles. Or even 50k.

What kinda of cost are we looking at ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Let us know how its holds up after 100K + miles. Or even 50k.

What kinda of cost are we looking at ?

Sticker on hers was around $27k I think, she got it for a bit less with the Ford Z plan, and then less her trade.

Nick...have you ever driven a prius? If so how do you think they compare?

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Nick...have you ever driven a prius? If so how do you think they compare?

I have, and there is no comparison. The prius is slow, noisy, unrefined, and the interior is made of some of the worst plastics I've seen in years. It may get worse gas mileage than the Prius, but the C-max in every other single way is a better daily driver.

Last edited:
Wow, That's a lot for a small car. Only spent 16k on my silverado

Your silverado was also probably a stripper model and doesn't have a high tech electric motor and battery in it lol.

Just because a car is small, it doesn't mean it costs less to make. It is loaded with a ton of hi-tech stuff, afterall, and it needs to meet all the modern safety standards just the same as larger vehicles.

In some ways, designing a safe smaller car is more of a challenge because you don't have very big crumple zones that you can rely on.

In Los Angles at a senior's center they had a safety check for vehicles which includes tire pressure checks. Every Ford C-Max of which there were a dozen or more the pressures were between 30 and 36 psi, claimed to have been set by the dealer, either new or at the time of a service, but the sticker on the vehicle clearly indicates 42. Have you checked your tire pressure?

Obligatory new car comment:
"If your Grandma didn't buy a new car every 4-5 years, maybe should could be retired by now instead of having a long commute to work with a bad hip"

Otherwise, enjoy
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Obligatory new car comment:
"If your Grandma didn't buy a new car every 4-5 years, maybe should could be retired by now instead of having a long commute to work with a bad hip"

LOL!

Maybe she wants to work to keep herself occupied and it gives her a chance to be among people (no offense to Nick's family members).

Granted, if that was truly the case, she could probably have found something much closer to home.

$16k? What is it an '88?

Originally Posted By: MarkM66

$16k? What is it an '88?

I was wondering the same thing. Starting price for a new Silverado is around $26K. Maybe the dealers are discounting the snot out of them to help push them off the lot?

Originally Posted By: MarkM66

$16k? What is it an '88?

2012 WITH 9K MILES

you don't have to pay a lot if you shop right...

Last edited:

I drove one of these in Germany with a 2.0 turbo diesel and a stick. Nice. Same MPG (real world) and no hybrid stuff.

Check the power trains for this car. Not even offered as a hybrid.

http://www.ford.de/Pkw-Modelle/FordC-MAX/MotorenGetriebe#primaryTabs

Originally Posted By: Trav

I drove one of these in Germany with a 2.0 turbo diesel and a stick. Nice. Same MPG (real world) and no hybrid stuff.

Check the power trains for this car. Not even offered as a hybrid.

http://www.ford.de/Pkw-Modelle/FordC-MAX/MotorenGetriebe#primaryTabs

There's a whole line of vehicles based on the Fiesta and Focus platforms in Europe. I really wish we could have some of them here.

I'd buy a B-Max (Fiesta wagon sort of thing) or an Eco-Sport in a heartbeat! Provided I could get it with a manual transmission They even have a Fiesta van (Transit courier)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back