Help...

Not sure if I've chosen the correct place for this, it's a cell phone issue so I figured this is as good a place as any.
I dropped my phone a while ago and the screen went black after a few minutes. It still rings if it's called, makes the customary noises when it receives a text, but I can't enter my numerical password and garner access obviously as I can't see the screen.

I've since replaced the phone and just left this one in the safe and forgotten about it. I'm not tech savy in the least and figured all was lost. It's a Samsung S3 that I had for ten years since new, original battery and all. Now I've heard that if I take it to the Samsung store they can hook it up to a monitor to mimic the broken screen and get into it, then all ten years of pictures (5,000+) and data can be transferred wirelessly to my new (to me) Samsung S9 Plus.

Is this the case, have any of you heard of this or done it yourselves?

I've had phones with a broken screen before, if you get a USB OTG hub with an HDMI output on it, you should be able to unlock the phone with a mouse/keyboard and transfer your data off.

You can also just replace the screen, the screens for these generations of phones were relatively easy to replace, since you just want your data off you probably don't even need to worry about transfering the front camera, antennas, etc from the old screen module to the new one, just what's absolutely needed to turn the phone on and unlock it.

Not sure if I've chosen the correct place for this, it's a cell phone issue so I figured this is as good a place as any.
I dropped my phone a while ago and the screen went black after a few minutes. It still rings if it's called, makes the customary noises when it receives a text, but I can't enter my numerical password and garner access obviously as I can't see the screen.

I've since replaced the phone and just left this one in the safe and forgotten about it. I'm not tech savy in the least and figured all was lost. It's a Samsung S3 that I had for ten years since new, original battery and all. Now I've heard that if I take it to the Samsung store they can hook it up to a monitor to mimic the broken screen and get into it, then all ten years of pictures (5,000+) and data can be transferred wirelessly to my new (to me) Samsung S9 Plus.

Is this the case, have any of you heard of this or done it yourselves?
You should be able to hook it up to a laptop and transfer data. However on my Samsung phone I have to select transfer data, instead of charge usb only.

How would a person do this?
I'm as dumb as they come when it comes to stuff like this.
Steps?
Just get a micro usb cable and plug your phone into the computer, although if you had a lock set on the phone, I think you may need a working screen because the phone may prevent you from looking at the filesystem until you unlock it, you may also need a working screen to tell the phone that you want to use USB to transfer files, although it seems like older versions of Android defaulted to that, generally it will show a setting in the notification menu showing what mode the USB is and then if you click it you can change it, but I don't remember if that's the way it was on Android 10 years ago.

Just get a micro usb cable and plug your phone into the computer, although if you had a lock set on the phone, I think you may need a working screen because the phone may prevent you from looking at the filesystem until you unlock it, you may also need a working screen to tell the phone that you want to use USB to transfer files, although it seems like older versions of Android defaulted to that, generally it will show a setting in the notification menu showing what mode the USB is and then if you click it you can change it, but I don't remember if that's the way it was on Android 10 years ago.
Thank you man, much appreciated. I'll update how things go.
I'm an old dawg, I use my phone to text, take pics, and talk, in that order.
As a result the latest greatest in cell phone tech means little to me, I honestly couldn't care less.
I'm just hoping to retrieve my lost contacts and pictures. If that's still possible I'll be very happy:)

If you have an Android phone, why aren't you backing up your photos to the cloud via a Google account? You can set it so its done automatically.
I know bud and that's currently what my new phone has done.
Keep in mind my situation revolves around a Samsung S3 with an inception date of May.3,2012.
I'm not a tech guy and none of this was of any importance to me until it was. Just want my contacts and pictures. Kinda interested in all the texts I've missed by people who think I've ghosted them lol.

Back