Help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. i got my bike permit. I was looking to take a safety course and get my license. if i get my license, do I automatically have to start paying higher insurance rates even if I dont actually own a bike yet or no one in my family does? Thanks.

Oh I know this is a bad spot but i didnt know where else. Feel free to move it mods =)

Last edited:
NO.
Any insurance will be on the cycle you get.
A safety course is good for a discount.
It shouldn't affect your auto coverage or the rates on that at all.
Each state is different of course.
When you get a cycle, check with several insurance companies.
Rates are all over the board.
You auto insurance company may have cycle coverage available at a discount (multi vehicles), but don't be locked in there.
My auto ins. co. isn't even competitive price wise.

ditto what dwendt44 said. also check some of the specialty motorcycle insurance companies like Foremost - they may be cheaper. when you go to buy a bike, get some insurance quotes on the specific bike. and obviously the higher horsepower the bike, the more insurance will cost. ditto for most sportbikes.

I considered taking the course but I didn't want to part with $330.

I ended up driving my bike on a trailer 75 miles 1 way to a DMV that does MC tests.

Got there @7:30, unloaded the bike and warmed it up.
8am they opened. I did my paperwork.
8:15 they made me ride around a few cones and do a circle, park bike.

I was out of that place with my new paper license @ 8:20.

0522091134.jpg

Ranger, you pay insurance if you have a bike, not for having the license.

Make sure the safety course you take is from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. In most states passing the course counts as the road test and you get your license. Check out the local courses near you at msf-usa.org .

The MSF course was worth its price to me just so I didn't look like a clueless tool when I went bike shopping.
wink.gif

Even if you don't get a bike right away, if you hold your license a few years that might get you in good with the insurance company.

Progressive is nicking me for $150 a year (new license last Oct) which isn't bad until you consider they get me for that for my car too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back