Help!XP/Airport Utility Can't find Airport Express

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to stream wireless music to my stereo. Bought an Airport Xpress and the Airport Utility can't find apple wireless devices (the Airport Express).

Airport express flashes amber

Router is a DLink DI-625

My Ipod touch works perfectly on this network. I just had to key in my 10 digit network password. Setup guide for the Express is useless.

Can anyone help?

When it is connected with the Ethernet cable can you choose your wireless network and set the password on the Airport Express?

Last edited:
I tried that. Was able to set the password on the airport express. It can never see my network on the airport express. My Ipod touch can see my network and it can see the airport express.

Pulling my hair out here.

OK Figured out that i have a WEP 128 Bit Wireless security on my Router.

Airport utility finds the Airport Express while connected to ethernet cable after instructing Airport Utility that:
- I want the AE to connect to my wireless network wirelessly
- after keying in my 10 digit WEP security code

A.U. advises it was upable to find my airport wireless device after restarting.

Originally Posted By: Gradient
Have you read this?
AirPort Express: Difficulty joining third-party network that is using WEP

Yes,

Don't understand it. Frankly, I bought the apple-made device because it was supposed to be simple. 4 hours later, I can only get it working while it's hooked to the ethernet cable, which defeats the purpose.

The link you provided while appreciated is beyond my technical capability. Apple's offer of a call back 24 hours later for tech support isn't overly helpful. I think I'll likely return it. But your time is very much appreciated in any case.

What I don't get is that it can be so easy to set up my ipod touch. It took literally 10 seconds. Now if they can make an ipod connect to my network this easily (and darn near any other computer I've tried), I don't understand why this device can't.

I just didn't think I was signing up for this when I bought an apple product.

Originally Posted By: Stu_Rock
Good link, Gradient. I don't have an AE , but I was just going to suggest preceding the 26-character WEP key with a $.

OK, that's helpful, I'll try that...then I'll officially give up.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
Originally Posted By: Stu_Rock
Good link, Gradient. I don't have an AE , but I was just going to suggest preceding the 26-character WEP key with a $.

OK, that's helpful, I'll try that...then I'll officially give up.

Just so I'm clear, now the WEP key will be 27 digits?

Yes, if you are using a 26 character hexadecimal password it will now be 27 characters long. I'd try a 13 character password and see what happens.
Does it works with the wireless security turned off?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gradient
Maybe this will help , but don't unplug the Airport till after step eleven.

Thanks very much!

I will try this tomorrow. It's going to be a tired day at work tomorrow.

A few questions:

Step 3: would my trend Micro PC Cillin need to be disabled?

Are you trying to connect to it from a Mac or PC? The wireless utility sets it up using a blue-tooth connection first and this can only be done from a Mac with Bluetooth or a PC with the same.

If you don't have Bluetooth you can contact it on your network by an IP address as stated in the manual however if it's a different series I.P. that what you use on your network this will not work.

Hmm,

I am going to try the "Maybe this will help" article tonight.

A quick question about my WEP key/password. The 64 bit key has only 10 digits that can be only letters a-f (upper or lower case) and numbers of my choosing.

There is a "WEP Key" shown 26 digits when I set up my wireless network which appears to be random. It is displayed when I set up my wireless network.

Which of the 10 digit or 26 digit security codes do I enter into the Airport Utility as the security code (with our without the "$" at the beginning)?

Resolved. For anyone that runs into this in the future, here's the answer.

After 3 calls with apple and 2 calls with DLink tech support, a senior guy at apple concluded that it's nearly impossible to make an Airport work with WEP security. We went through the process of resetting and converting the router to WPA security.

A really big thank-you to Gradient and others for their repeated efforts in trying to help me resolve this!

That sort of spirit on this board is what has kept me coming back for years.

Awesome. The saga continues.

There are two forms of security on a modem WEP and WPA.

- The Airport Express uses only WPA and won't work with WEP.

- The Ipod touch, based on everything I can find(the purpose of which is to control the Airport Express) is compatible with WEP and won't work with WPA.

So now I have my Airport Express working, but now my Ipod touch won't work.

Don't believe them when they say Apple stuff is superior. Lost 6 hours one evening, then took a morning off work to talk to apple during their business hours, only to come home later and find out that now my Ipod touch won't connect to the network. Guess I'll need to take another morning off work. Boy are they making me feel foolish!

My I-Phone (I-Pod Touch is the same but no phone) works on WPA because our work network is on this.

It worked on the 3.x operating system and the new 4.x OS

21.gif
Not sure why yours doesn't work... Is your firmware up to date? (Check in ITUNES)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back