Help with Rust Remover

This is for a S&W Performance Center 44 Mag SS revolver that has some rust on it. I'm thinking of Boeshield rust free for this. I've used it on my Delta tablesaw and 8" jointed. It worked very well. I wanted to ask if anyone has a better recommendation before I jump in on this. The revolver was stored away for the last 2 years. It's mine now and something this nice shouldn't have rust on it. :D

Attachments

• PC 44MAG.jpg
    PC 44MAG.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 35
That looks like some pretty good pitting formed.

I think the Boeshield rust remover (assume you mean that, not T-9) is phosphoric acid IIRC, no magic there and other cheaper acids can do it. If you want it returned to a good even finish, you'll need to bead blast it afterwards or have that done. That will likely damage the script on the barrel flat, or live with the pitting. The modern S&W lettering is shallow laser-etching and not that robust vs. older models. I had a 3" Lew Horton 629 in the past and the nice thing was a little polish would clean anything, unlike the bead blasted later models.

Another thought is it would probably not be pricey to find a red ramp, white line, or other contrast front sight blade and just drift that one out and install a new one.

If you can immerse it then EvapoRust works great. I find it tends to leave the surface pretty much rust free but black.

I bought a 3 gal pail of the stuff with a basket. Anything I find rusty goes in the pail. It seems to stay in the pail until I remember I put it in the pail. Days to weeks.

Back