Help with oil 2015 mustang gt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently tuned for e85 and have been using M1ep 5w20. Should I go with something thicker and any better oil out there? I'm in south Florida. I don't baby the car I run hard. Love the speed and banging those gears.

Stick with Ford's recommended oil weight, which is probably 5W-20. Use a full synthetic & change it every 5,000 since you drive it really hard.

If you're driving it that hard, I'd go thicker - 5W-30 or 0W-40 would work fine - especially in S.FL. If it's just the occasional run to redline, the 5W-20 is OK.

Originally Posted By: rozay
Thanks man. Any other oil you would consider as well or is this the best for my application?

Redline 5W30 would be a good choice too, if you want to try something a little more boutique. I do like the availability of the Mobil, though.

Ok I redline 40 percent of the time. O me it's hard driving I guess. What oil is better PP or m1 and whI checked m1 ep or regular syn.?

5w30
Mobil1
Synpower
Edge
PPlatinum
QState UD
Motorcraft

0w40
Mobil1
Edge

Any will work just fine.

Should I stick with M1 ep or just run m1 syn. Pennzoil platinum good for my application.I like the Walmart prices and will continue to change every 5k miles

Originally Posted By: wemay
5w30
Mobil1
Synpower
Edge
PPlatinum
QState UD
Motorcraft

0w40
Mobil1
Thanks just saw your post after my post lol
Edge

Any will work just fine.

This is an 8 qt sump? Oil temp determines the viscosity. Whats your sump temp? You are likely in situ at 9 or 10 cst warmed. 5w20EP should be fine. I had the older engine in a bullitt and it got real doggy on 5w30. Slow to rev and down on power. At least your mechanical VVT should not be vis sensitive. These have non hydraulic VVT IIRC, yes?
Maybe move up in grade after the engine loosens up after 30K miles.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
This is an 8 qt sump? Oil temp determines the viscosity. Whats your sump temp? You are likely in situ at 9 or 10 cst warmed. 5w20EP should be fine. I had the older engine in a bullitt and it got real doggy on 5w30. Slow to rev and down on power. At least your mechanical VVT should not be vis sensitive. These have non hydraulic VVT IIRC, yes?

Yes on the 8qt. The rest I don't know sorry.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

I see this all the time but if sump is at 200F and coolant, block, crank shaft etc are at 230F, you can bet the oil is all but instantly heated to 230F once pumped into the oil galleys... This is why I'll never use a 5W-20 in any of my engines(two 4.6 Fords incl)...

Originally Posted By: rozay
I'm currently tuned for e85 and have been using M1ep 5w20. Should I go with something thicker and any better oil out there? I'm in south Florida. I don't baby the car I run hard. Love the speed and banging those gears.
M1 is designed for extended oil change intervals and if you don't extend the oil changes it is not the better oil or offer any better protection from metal to metal contact than other oils. What service interval does the owners manual recommend with the e85? With 5.000 mile oil change intervals There is no advantage running syn oils. Also I doubt you will notice any difference if you went to a 30 wt or an 0W-40 oil in the engine and if you did you could drain it out. I doubt you are stressing the oil by beating on the car. Tracking the car probably.

This is the HTHS spec, really the only relevant number for operating temp viscosity in an engine regarding critical loaded components.
I'm sure ford didnt torture test this engine at all with 5w20
smile.gif
I don't keep my cars past engine warranty so if it blows up with the 20 ... NEW ENGINE! :()

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back