help with Havoline specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could someone help me with the Havoline 5w-30 ccs spec. The web page shows -30/5300. Chevron Supreme 5w-30 is -30/6300. I think the Havoline -30/5300 is a typo and should be the same as Chevron (-30/6300) Otherwise, Havoline is the best dino cold pumping dino oil - right?

Jon, you might check the dates at the bottom of the page,I have the Havoline info listed as August,2002. Last I checked the Chevron was a 2001 date. Or call them to see might be best or quickest wat to find out

How do you like that 10/30? How many miles and any consumption to speak of? Have you seen a MPG increase over the Valvoline you used in the past?

I really like the Havoline 10w-30. I found that my mpg went upfrom 17 to 18+ after switching from Valvoline. I am using 5w-30 in my wifes Nissan. It has 55,000 miles, and the inside of the valve cover and parts look like new. I think the Havloline is a better winter oil for MN than the Valvoline.

I just got off the phone with Steve at Chevron. He confirmed that the Havoline at -30/5300 ccs and the Chevron is -30/6300 ccs. He said that Havoline is a better cold wether oil than Chevron Supreme. Actually -30/5300 is the best i have seen fora dino oil.

Hmmmm. This is good to know. Chevron is not always available in my area, but Halvoline is. Perhaps I will give it a shot next time.
cool.gif

[ September 10, 2002, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: Brad ]

My fault,I had Havoline Synthetic on my mind!

5/30 is 3700
10/30 is 4100

both @ -30C
CPS # 22102 and 222101 MSDS 8602 for the both of them
Those look like cold weather oils!
smile.gif

Just for a comparison,the Mobile Drive Clean Blend 5/30 is 5000 @-30C
and the plain Drive Clean 5/30 5500@ -30C

Does anyone have the cP of the 10/30 Mobil Supersyn to compare to the new Havoline Group III Synthetic out of curiosity?

quote:

Originally posted by JonS:
I just got off the phone with Steve at Chevron. He confirmed that the Havoline at -30/5300 ccs and the Chevron is -30/6300 ccs. He said that Havoline is a better cold wether oil than Chevron Supreme. Actually -30/5300 is the best i have seen fora dino oil.

Jon - I'm not too far from you in KC - we don't get your snow, but it gets plenty cold here in the winter for several months.

I wanna be sure I'm following your comments corectly - you're using the Havoline 5-30 dino, not synthetic, right? Which branding of the Havoline is it? All I can get around here is the Equilon branding.

For several years I've been using the Havoline 5-30 in winter, 10-30 in summer, changed at around 3,500-4,000 miles in my wife's '99 Honda Ody, my Maxima, and our old '96 Taurus without any hint of problems, but after reading comments around here I was thinking about switching to Pennzoil, or possibly Castrol GTX. If you are using the Equilon Havoline dino and also having good results, perhaps I'll stay with it too.

Thanks,
-Doug-

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:

Does anyone have the cP of the 10/30 Mobil Supersyn to compare to the new Havoline Group III Synthetic out of curiosity?

Here are the specs on the SuperSyn 10w30:

3,848@-25°
10,250@-30°

Interesting! The Havoline seems to blow it away!!

Quote:
"Interesting! The Havoline seems to blow it away!! "

Thats why I posted a topic on it awhile back,not many replies though.

There is a new simaler spec HD oil available in a 10/30 wt that got overlooked as well,very low cold crank and pour point and the same low sulphated ash as some SL's.Seems a great catalyst car or truck oil for certain applications.That one is so new it is not on the shelves yet.

With all these mergers ect,there are some new oils available that are worth taking a look at imo

[ September 10, 2002, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Yes, i am using the dino "Chevron" Havoline 5w-30. The only other dino oil that comes close to it is Mobil drive clean as Dragboat said. But i think that is a group I base. Havoline is group II. I would like to use Pennzoil, but it is -30/6600. Havoline is better than most synthetics at pour point also. -45c

quote:

Yes, i am using the dino "Chevron" Havoline 5w-30...

Darn!
mad.gif
I've looked in numerous locations throughout the area and can only find the Equilon Havoline. Does anybody know the specs for it? (I thought they were posted somewhere here, but can't seem to find it.) Any thoughts on what is the next best to the Chevron Havoline in cold pumping and pouring, with overall good specs, aside from from Mobile DC?

FYI: Also noted just recently that the bottling for the Equilon seems to be changing back from the wide mouth/large cap to conventional pour spout, but still says Equilon...

[ September 11, 2002, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: KCDoug ]

from "my" research on dino oils for cold, the bad ones are Quaker State, Castrol, And Valvoline.

Good ones are Havoline, Shell, Mobil drive clean, Chevron, Pennzoil.

Doug,

I believe "they" have the right to market the Havoline name for right about another year,no telling what is in the bottle imo.

If it is the old Havoline,it was a pretty good oil! But again,I have not kept up with that deal,could be Fire n Ice in that bottle which was/is a good oil,I don't know but maybe someone else does?

Talking about the small mouth Havoline bottles,
The other day a local Target had the smallmouth Havoline (dist by Chevron/Texaco) for $.94..
The Kmart has the smallmouth bottle (dist by Equilon) for $.99.
I called Havoline and asked about the bottle change and the distribution changes, he said they really caught major flak about changing to the bigmouth bottles and were changing back to the smallmouth bottles, sounded like they would soon have all the oil distributed by Chevron/Texaco...
last time I checked the Chevron specs and Havoline Specs were the same, but it's been a few weeks. Far as I'm concerned, Havoline was good in the past, they are just better now.
see y'all
Rando

FYI, If you look at a shelf of OTC oils at most any parts house, Notice that the Big Mouth bottles are the more expensive oils and the small ones not as much. Even Amsoil and Mobil use BIG MOUTH on their high dollar oils, and the oils like drive clean, use small mouth.

Just another one of those little observations I noticed. lately though, I saw one trying to repackage and take on the look of the higher end oils (might have been Havoline don't remember).

The Mobil Drive Clean that I recently bought came in small mouth bottles in the 10W30 and large mouth bottles in 5W30.
dunno.gif
The bottle design was different on the 5W30 as well. It looked "fancier" than the 10W30 bottle.

FYI for those who use the bottle stopper cap gadget for putting oil in, the kind where you put the cap on, put it in the filler hole, then give it a twist to open.

The Mobil 1 widemouth bottles(and I suppose, others) can be capped with the kind that fit anti-freeze containers.

quote:

Originally posted by KCDoug:

quote:

Yes, i am using the dino "Chevron" Havoline 5w-30...

Darn!
mad.gif
I've looked in numerous locations throughout the area and can only find the Equilon Havoline.

What a surprise today when I stumbled into the chevron Havoline at a new Target Superstore, and for just 94 cents/qt. With winter around the corner, I loaded up on a couple of cases. Unfortunately they only sold them in individual quarts. Good dino for under a buck, so I'll probably pick up another case next week before they go back to regular pricing.

[ September 12, 2002, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: KCDoug ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back