Help with a Bosch Cartridge Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Marina(in my signature) came with an aftermarket remote mount filter set up. I can't seem to find any details on who made the set-up(I'll try to post a photo here of it to see if anyone can ID it). I know it was installed a couple of owners ago by a guy in the MG community who owned the car, and presumably was done to because of how much he drove the car and consequently how often he changed the oil.

In any case, there were a handful of spare filter elements tucked in the trunk, but I'm at a loss as to where I might find more of them. All I really have to go on is a single Bosch part number, OF103. Google leads me to a couple of cross references for this, including a Fram PH16 and Baldwin B163, but these are spin-on filters, not cartridge.

I'm guessing that this is an older, retired filter number. Does anyone have any leads as to where I might find more elements of this type?

(in the worst case, I have an MGB engine handy that I can rob an inverted spin-on mount off of and fit my preferred FL-1A, but I also don't mind the remote mount set up and the simplicity of it provided I can actually find filters for it).

take a picture of the filter that's on it now
smile.gif

Wix 51300
NAPA 1300

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mg,1970,mgb,1.8l+l4,1496436,engine,oil+filter,5340

If the fittings are standard NPT, I'd toss the cartridge set-up on ebay for $10 and connect the existing hoses to a new remote mount that use the PH16 (3/4" x 16 threads)

An FL-1A is awfully darn big for an Austin Marina.

Thanks for the responses.

The ones linked don't look QUITE right as the spares I have don't have any sort of "cage" around the element. I'm away from the car until tomorrow evening, but I'll post photos of both the set up and the element currently installed tomorrow.

As for the FL-1A-I think the official recommendation is an FL300 or 400(I get them mixed up, as my MKZ uses one of those two numbers, and the MG specifies the others). The FL-1A has the same spec bypass and ADB, but just more filter media. It's been recommended to me by a couple of folks I trust, including one guy who is a retired GM engine engineer who now does MG performance builds. The stock Marina filter mounting is "upside down" vs. the later MGB spin on(which has the base of the filter toward the ground and the top pointed up). Yes, it seems eerily out of place on a 1.8L engine, especially considering that it's larger in diameter than the bore, but it has a proven track record on that engine. I use the Motorcraft version, but the same guy who installed this remote filter kit on the Marina also has told me that he runs an FL-1A when he's using a spin-on filter, and he's someone who will put 30K+ miles a year on an MGB.

I mention all of this in relation to the Marina since the Marina engine is more or less the same as a post-72 MGB engine(the biggest difference is a cast vs. forged crank, but both are "18V" series engines with the same block castings, head castings, camshaft, pistons, and only really differing in things like the intake/exhaust manifold) so there's a lot of experience/knowledge I can transfer over to this new-to-me car.

I checked several places I normally go to for OF Xref and came up empty. Must be a really old Bosch application for it not to be listed. I'd think Bosch themselves might be the only source of that information now. They may not even have it.

Alright, false alarm.

I pulled the can and looked at the "filter" and thought it was the strangest looking thing I'd ever seen.

I took note of the markings on top of the can and Googled them-it's a Frantz Oil Cleaner. It looks like my stop for a replacement element is the nearest dollar store...

I can't see myself installing one of these myself if it wasn't already there, but at the same time people seem to rave about them. I'm tempted to leave it, and like I said visit the dollar store for some new elements.

BTW, the best I can tell, the Bosch I referenced in my OP looks like it MAY be the cartridge type used on early MGBs and MGC engines. I'll stick those on the shelf for later use.

Last edited:
Okay, scratch all of the above(which could have been solved by just opening the box...)

I took a closer look at the engine(I'd been paying too much attention to the distributor and carburetor) and found a spin-on right where I'd expect it to be. The Bosch I referenced in the OP looks to be the same size, so the crosses I found(PH16, etc) are probably correct.

The Frantz seems to have a carboard core, but it feels a lot "firmer" than I'd expect an oil-saturated roll of toilet paper.

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back