Help!!! Tires sound like snow tires from the '70's

2010 sonata with General Altimax rt43. Tires have about 20k on them, rears sound like heavy duty snows from the 70's. This started about three weeks ago. I'm 64, don't want a headache everytime I drive. What are THE quietest tires that will fit my car?

What are the tire pressures? Now that the weather is getting hot, your tire pressure increases by a few psi. This can cause the ride to be more harsh than usual.

Are these tires very old? Does the tread look cupped or does it have abnormal wear?

I'd make sure it isn't actually bad rear wheel bearings that you're hearing before throwing tires at it.

Either a wheel bearing, or rear toe is out and you got sever stepping on the tyres.

We had a recall on that gen sonata for the rear subframe corroding, so don't assume everything is A-ok if that hasn't been dealt with.

This could also be irregular tire wear.

Causes: Mostly alignment, but lack of rotation, and other mechanical issues can cause this as well.

So before you do ANYTHING, make sure you get an alignment.

Side note: I'm voting it's a bad bearing!

RT43 can get loud with wear, and my cars like to feather so frequent rotations are a must. But the noise changes when the pavement changes, like going from new pavement to old. If the noise doesn’t change with road surface then I would vote bearing also.

Either a wheel bearing, or rear toe is out and you got sever stepping on the tyres.

We had a recall on that gen sonata for the rear subframe corroding, so don't assume everything is A-ok if that hasn't been dealt with.
Do you work for Hyundai?

Lots of tread designs will cup out on the rear and cause roaring if not rotated regularly. Cupping on the rear tires is my guess.

My RT43's became noisy at approximately 40K miles +/-, about a year ago. They are rotated every 6,000 miles and seen to have no wear irregularities, very even in fact. My bearings seem o.k. (how does one diagnose bad bearings beyond roughness and/or excessive play?).

It's very difficult to describe the noise. Definitely rhythmic depending on speed. Not quire a hum. Not quite a thump. It does change with the type of road surface. The noise doesn't seem to change with a rotation.

I plan to replace them before the upcoming winter. Debating what to buy. The literature states that these tires have built in features to limit noise. I suspect maybe it is some kind of internal damage due to our road conditions (can anyone elaborate about internal damage?).

I had some rusted linkage parts on my '07 Sonata parking brake assemblies. After short time it would sound like a flat tire, really bad bearing. Crazy part was it was a stick shift so parking brake was used everyday, shoes not worn. Rust just built up enough one day.

Rotate them side to side.

As I posted elsewhere, angled tread block wear due to braking is the most common reason for tire noise.

Rotate them side to side.

As I posted elsewhere, angled tread block wear due to braking is the most common reason for tire noise.
Hi Cujet, just curious but you said that it's due to braking. Is there something you know of to avoid this issue besides trying to limit amount of times or amount of hard braking events? (Not trying to be funny) or is it unavoidable? Thanks.

Back