help! Spacers for dummies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

My father has a 96 MB E300D. It was factory spec with p215/55r16 H speed rated wheels.

Recently we called the dealer and asked for a set of OEM wheels and tires - we got them, and tried to put them on today.

Unfortunately, the new parts dont fit! Besides severely corroded lug bolts (I dont know why, but all MBs Ive dealt with get this way, making removal very tough), the wheels are slightly incorrect, sizewise.

The ones that came on the car from the factory, with p215/55hr16 tires, have wheels that are 7 1/2Jx16H2 ET41

The new wheels with snow tires in the same p215/55hr16 size are 8Jx16H2 ET36

Whats the best way to get these new wheels working on our car? They are OEM wheels for the later years versions of this e-class car.

Im sure this is an easy one, but I dont know where to start or buy this stuff. Whatever we'd buy, we want the highest quality possible.

Thanks for your help!

JMH

215/55 tires only need a 6.5" rim. 8" rims are too wide and aren't a recommended size.

A 7.5" rim is ideal for a 245/50 tire.

lol... thats what the dealer sold as OE equipment...

And its what we have now. We were thinking of using the old wheels for winter ones and putting new summer tires on the new wheels.

But we have and like the wheels... people get all sorts of new combinations to work - so any suggestions on how we get these wheels to work on our car?

Thanks!

JMH

The offset is the only thing I see as being wrong. You'd start to have fender clearence issues or the inner part of the rim hitting the strut/shock, or the wheel not clearing the brakes. The width is fine.

Have you actually test fit it? If it fits with no clearence issues, then it will be fine. The offset may be smaller because of the 1/2" wider wheel.

JHZR2, what is it exactly that doesn't fit? From the info you provided, it doesn't necessarily meant that they won't fit.

The two crucial pieces of information are bolt pattern and the size of centerbore. If those are different, you would need adapters.

Other than that, the fact that the new rims are 0.5" wider and slightly different offset (as a result of being wider, actually), I don't see any issues here.

As far as putting a 215/55/16 tire on an 8" wide rim - yeah, that's a stretch (no pun intended). The recommended rim width for this tire size is generally from 6 to 7.5 inches.

The real problem is that the lug nuts dont allow me to tighten the wheel down to the point that it mates to the surface. THeyre both MB parts, and the bolt pattern is identical - theyre both OE wheels from the same series (w210 chassis) cars.

I think that a new set of lug bolts would fix it - the ones on the car are odd - there is the head that the wrench goes on, then there is a 1/2" shaft, then a wide colar to tighten to the wheel, then the actual bolt. I think the bolts and the length from the threads to collar are too long.

I dont know why they put those tires on those wheels - we'll be changing them soon anyhow. At the same time, I just want to be sure that we can get those wheels to fit.

Is it OK to get shorter lug bolts?

Thanks,

JMH

The wheel bolts need to go in about 8 turns. Anywhere between about 6.5 turns and 10 turns should be ok though.

How many turns are they going in?

theyre going in until they're tight, i.e. I cant turn them any more with the lug wrench...

At that point, the wheel still wobbles on the lug bolts, as its not tight to the hub flange or whatever the mating surface is called...

Thanks!

JMH

If the wheel bolts are too long they can damage the inside of the brake hub. However, i'm guessing that a 96 E300D has discs all round.

I've got some MB wheel bolts and they are 12mm diameter x 1.5mm pitch. They are 40mm long measured from the bolt seat. Mercedes uses a radius-shaped (aka ball-shaped) bolt seat compared to a cone-shaped bolt seat that BMW uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back