Help reading SDS

I see folks here reading SDS to determine the type and amount of base oil in the final blend. I’m not fully understanding how you are doing this. I’m posting a picture of the current oil in use in my car and wanted some help figuring out what it’s make up of. I thought it was 50-75% group III but I’m not sure I’m right.
25083257-6848-4737-B8C7-548E5B963D4E.jpg

If that's to a full synthetic oil then it's probably mostly group 3 with a small amount of group 1 added for solvency, If it's syn blend then there's no real telling what percentage of syn there is to group II.

It’s Castrol Edge High Mileage 5w30. I did a VOA and it didn’t look very impressive on paper. I’m going to run a UOA at 3k miles and see where we’re at with it. Want to see if it’s worth the price.

What about Havoline Lifelong 10w30? CAS number 72623-87-1. They say it's a

C20-50, hydrotreated neutral oil-based​

I have no idea. I was lost at hydroisomerized. Is that a lesser grade than a group 3 product?

I have no idea. I was lost at hydroisomerized. Is that a lesser grade than a group 3 product?
It's one of many forms of hydroprocessing, they take the crude and in the presence of a catalystic and hydrogen at high temperature and pressure it changes the molecular structure of the oil to what is more desirable as a lubricating base stock, Chevron makes both their group II and group III products using a hydroisomerization process, they even make note of it on their products packaging, they'll use terms like ISODEWAXED on the "conventional" oils and then use the term "ISOSYN" on the synthetic products.

It's one of many forms of hydroprocessing, they take the crude and in the presence of a catalystic and hydrogen at high temperature and pressure it changes the molecular structure of the oil to what is more desirable as a lubricating base stock, Chevron makes both their group II and group III products using a hydroisomerization process, they even make note of it on their products packaging, they'll use terms like ISODEWAXED on the "conventional" oils and then use the term "ISOSYN" on the synthetic products.
Interesting, I did not think that process could meet the requirements for a Group III product. I thought that required hydrocracking.

Interesting, I did not think that process could meet the requirements for a Group III product. I thought that required hydrocracking.
According to this, it can be a couple different ways:

Group III base oils are produced by hydrocracking, hydroisomerization, and hydrotreating, which make this grade purer.

Okay, thanks. We had a thread a while back on the Chevron products and at the time they weren't really calling them synthetic, so I suppose that is where I got that notion.

I think hydroprocessed/hydrocracked are used interchangeably or perhaps worded better, hydroprocessed encapsulates hydrocracking and other treatment methods used to produce Group II/II+/III/III+. See this from Petro-Canada:
Screen Shot 2023-04-18 at 4.25.15 PM.png

Okay, thanks. We had a thread a while back on the Chevron products and at the time they weren't really calling them synthetic, so I suppose that is where I got that notion.
They have full synthetic products, but they started calling their syn-blend tier "synthetic technology" whatever that means, not that syn-blend really has a solid definition either

hydroprocessed is more of a general term to refer to any form of hydroprocessing, while hydrocracking is a specific category of hydroprocessing to my knowledge.
Yeah, see edit, lol.

I think we tend to think hydrocracked when we think Group III, but as you've noted, hydroprocessed includes hydrocracked as well as other processes that result in the same family of end product.

They have full synthetic products, but they started calling their syn-blend tier "synthetic technology" whatever that means, not that syn-blend really has a solid definition either
My thinking (which is incorrect) was that it took cleavage and recombination of the hydrocarbon backbone ("hydrocracking" to me) to achieve the saturates, sulfur and VI requirements for a Group III base stock. But apparently not.

So if you "hydroprocess" the oil (which I took as reforming the functional groups but not breaking the backbone) and achieve the technical requirements for Group III then this is not synthetic since it does not involve synthesis. Only those Group III products that actually involve synthesis are synthetic.

Are you having problems with the oil ?
Not that I know of… I’m having a problem keeping an oil in the 30w range for 3,000 miles with this car. It’s a TGDI 2.0 and it will turn a 10+ CST at 100c to a >8.6 in 2,750-3,000 miles. This run is Castrol Edge High Mileage 5w30. I’ll sample at 3k and see if it shears or fuel dilutes to a 20w. If so, I’ll most likely try a 10w30 something and possibly a 5w40 down the road. This oil is actually proving to have slightly better fuel economy than the past oils. It’s only been in 1,100 mile so far though so definitely not conclusive. I’m. Only gathering info from the SDS to try and learn the differences and see if one holds grade better than another. Really just trying to learn.

Back