Help Pick me a Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought an 07 Accord and wanted to stock up on oil filters as i will have this car hopefully a long time. Considering ordering some Wix from Fleet or going with Purolators as I can get them from a local Advanced Auto. What is the difference between a Purolator PL14610 for $6.49 and a Pure One L14610 for $4.49 at Advanced Auto? Any major differences between the Wix and Purolator filters?

thanks,
Scott

IIRC, the PL14610 is the PureOne, the L14610 is the classic/premiumplus.

I get the classics at 2 for 5 bucks, and they're good for that price. I run them 7500 in my 06'.

If you want the upgrade to a better drain valve and better media, both the WIX/Napa Gold or PureOne are good buys (and I've used both, but not on the Accord).

In this order is what I would recommend:

Amsoil EAO - Changed less often then a regular filter because it's a long life filter and can stand up to a beating. Will also be more cost efficient.

M1 - Great filter for up to 10K Mile OCI from what I have read here.

Wix - Great filter for up to 10K Mile OCI from personal experiences.

Napa Gold - Great filter for up to 10K Mile OCI from what I have read here.

Pure One - Great filter for up to 10K Mile OCI from what I have read here.

I use the Napa ProSelect on my girlfriend's 03 Accord. It also has the 2.4. It's a great filter, made by Wix to Napa's specs and is very well constructed for its price. I have had no problems with it at all. I use ProSelects on my truck with no problems there either.

The Napa Gold does a great job too and it is a re-badged Wix. I only run the ProSelect to 3K though. The Napa Gold can last a lot longer.

I have been hanging around here for 7 years and I am convinced oil filters don't do much and you may as well run an ST or something else low priced.

If you are going to use synthetic oil and extended OCI, maybe a more expensive filter would be good.

Filters are cheap, even at the cost of an EAO... So why chance it?

Like others have said, the price of gas makes the cost of oil and a quality filter over a standard OCI even as short as 3K miles, irrelevant!
thumbsup2.gif

Steve C recommened all good oil filters, IMO I put the WIX above the M1 becuase of M1 shoddy pleat uniformity.

Mainstream buy over the counter filters my #1 is WIX followed by Purone. EAO is probably one of the best filters you can get but for the price and availibility rule it out for me.

"Just curious as to why you don't run the better filters on the Accord?"

I probably will, since the OCI is so long. But it takes the same filters as my EX 500 motorcycle, and I had a bunch of premiumplus/classics laying around.

I cut open the Purolators with a modified can opener when I'm done, they look pretty good. There's a lot of media and it's pretty clean. So I don't see the advantage of more media in the PureOne. And, I go through the OCI pretty quickly and I don't hear any ticking at startup, so the cheaper nitrile adbv seems to be working ok. Honestly, I put a classic upside down in my oil drain pan, and a month later it was still full.

Really, the UOA's on these engines look really good, it's probably not a huge deal what filter you use.

Originally Posted By: heavyhitter
Steve C recommened all good oil filters, IMO I put the WIX above the M1 becuase of M1 shoddy pleat uniformity.

Mainstream buy over the counter filters my #1 is WIX followed by Purone. EAO is probably one of the best filters you can get but for the price and availibility rule it out for me.

There is also RP at pep boys.

I have a Very hard time believing Wix is a "better" filter than M1/K&N and Pure one. Wix is average at best.

Wix just doesn't boast of superior level of filtration as a bigger tahn life feature. Their construction is about the best or par with it.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
. . . Really, the UOA's on these engines look really good, it's probably not a huge deal what filter you use.

I agree. Thousands upon thousands of Honda owners have been using Honda's OEM A02 filters (now supplied by Fram/Honeywell) for years. If they were inherently deficient, we'd certainly know it by now. That said, for the same cost or less, you can buy most of the "better" (sic) filters mentioned above. I happen to like Wix/NAPA Gold 1356 because, when cut open, the component parts and filter media appear to be far superior to the A02.

Originally Posted By: Gurney
Originally Posted By: bepperb
. . . Really, the UOA's on these engines look really good, it's probably not a huge deal what filter you use.

I agree. Thousands upon thousands of Honda owners have been using Honda's OEM A02 filters (now supplied by Fram/Honeywell) for years. If they were inherently deficient, we'd certainly know it by now.

Pretty much sums it up!!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back