Help Peopl Texting Me Back But I Did Not Text Them

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had this problem with my texts for the last few years always around the Holidays .. It seems that i am getting text messages from people that seem to be getting texts from me although i did not send any of these people anything because i don't even know some of them. I got a bunch this morning...What can be happening here does anyone know about this type of thing?
They all seem to be texting me back when i am sure i did not text anyone.. My wife even sent me one this morning and her phone is still in her car in the garage..

Someone might be spoofing your number. You might also have malware on your phone if you are running android or ios.

We occasionally get odd e-mail messages apparently from our own address. Someone is playing not so funny tricks on us, and on you. Some sort of phishing or spoofing.

Not much you can do about it though. All part of life in 2016.

Whatever it is it seems like the people i am getting them from think they are from me..I don't like the idea that someone can send someone else a text message and make it look like its from my number.
I just got another one now it says same to you have a blessed Christmas. Someone said it could be group texting but that does not explain how they receive it from my number and how some of my friends are getting them also.

Somebody probably owned your cell phone number before you.

Those people think they are texting Merry Christmas to the old owner of your number!

I've gotten a few well wishings from numbers I do not recognize. One seemed to be a response to a text I did not send, and I did not receive any group texts where that often occurs.

The area codes were in places where I know some people, but I do not believe they have my number.

So I just ignore them. What else is there to do?

All they need is your phone number to text you. Obviously that is not hard to find, and some people make it easier with insecure habits.

Don't reply to them; delete them, or alternatively create an address book entry and add the numbers to it ... I have one named "Spam Telemarketer", with about 80 numbers on it so far.

The benefit of that is you don't need to deal with repeat offenders, plus if the same number ever calls you again, the Call Display will be Mr Spam Telemarketer (or whatever first, last name you choose) so you know to ignore it. You can also then set a smartphone to use a unique ring tone, or no ring at all, or put them in your ignore list so the call or text won't ever reach you at all. You have many choices as to how to deal with it, in other words.

Even though the sender's number may be spoofed ... means fake ... it's still worthwhile to note that number. What spammers do is they will seek out unused or un-assigned local numbers and then use those as the originating number. They can enter and use any number they want; that's a basic feature of Skype or any computer-based calling application. So, for example, they could be calling from Russia but the number you see on Call Display has a Colorado area code.

If you reply that just marks you as a "live" number. To be a little less than polite, that basically means you are an idiot and they will step up efforts to scam you, plus when they sell lists of numbers the ones that have replied are worth much more money, essentially guaranteeing your number will be on that list and guaranteeing an increase of scammers calling you.

Do not reply if there is some link or other indication that you were called by mistake and to have your number removed from their list. This is of course just another means to get you to reply, mark yourself as an idiot, and get put on the list of people most likely to be scammed. DO NOT REPLY, PERIOD.

They do this at Xmas time because it's a time of year when people are more likely to expect annual communication from lesser known people. This is "Social Engineering", the number one most successful means to get people to give up information. Even highly trained individuals get caught by this ... on average about 30% of people fall for a Social Engineering ploy. Recently the San Francisco Transit Authority was broken into by hackers. The means was a Social Engineering eMail sent to all staff with an eMail address.

The staff at SFTA were well trained ... 90% recognized it for what it was and deleted it or forwarded it to IT staff for investigation. But 10% didn't and replied to the link in the message, meaning the hackers had many times more replies than they needed to break into the network. All 10% of those who fell for the ploy were trained to not fall for the ploy yet they did so anyway. That is why these scams still persist ... they work.

my phone is a non smart phone it's one of those boring phones that can't track everything you do and use it against you..lol i also had this phone number for about 15 years..
I really have no clue what is happening but it happens every holiday..

I have to ask my hacker buddy im sure he will know whats up.. He is on vacation so i have to wait till next week..

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
my phone is a non smart phone it's one of those boring phones that can't track everything you do and use it against you..lol i also had this phone number for about 15 years..
I really have no clue what is happening but it happens every holiday..

I have to ask my hacker buddy im sure he will know whats up.. He is on vacation so i have to wait till next week..

In that case, you are probably part of group texts and your phone can't show it. When people respond to group texts, it will reply to everyone in the group. A smart phone will show that a text is a group text, but many more basic phones will not. This is the most likely scenario if you have had your number for 15 years.

I always let everyone know (who receives my phone number) that I do not text. Nothing difficult to sort-out here, if you operate the same way.

Heck, if you ask most cellphone carriers when they activate your phone, to disable the texting feature, they will accomodate you. I've done that just recently with Consumer Cellular.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back