Help me understand the difference please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I’m just after a little help with understanding the differences in these 2 oils.

See what I just can’t seem to find out is, typically what would be the differences that makes one oil a performance oil over a standard oil when there both,

Mineral
20w 50’s
SL rated

An example would be, Castrol’s GTX 2. This oil is only for standard engines running under normal conditions.

Pennzoil’s GT Performance. This oil is said to be for high horse power, performance engines driven under all conditions.

There both:
Mineral
20w 50’s
SL rated

You could even use two castrol products as an example. Again the standard GTX 2 and there Formula R 25 50. I know the Formula R is a bit heaver, but what is it, in side the oil that makes it better?

When you get VOA done, there all simular in ingredients, so I just cant seem to find out what it is that is the different ingredient that makes it suited for high performance use, when there all neck in neck in available spec’s.

quote:

Originally posted by cweed:
Isn't Formula R synthetic?

Not in the 25-50 Grade. I think Pablo has it right=marketing.
smile.gif

-

Castrol

If it is like in the old days in the US where each manufacture had 2-4 different Dino Oils of the same grades then the more expensive oils would generally have a more robust additive package.

Moly, ZDDP, Boron, Overbased Clacium, etc.

All other things being equal (They seldom are!) a 25W-50 would be more stable (Less VII to shear) than a 20W-50.

I do not know enough of the Australian oil scene to make recommendations other than to say a 15W-40 Diesel/Fleet oil like Chevron (Caltex?) Delo 400 or Castrol Super RX would likely work very well in most Diesels or Gas/petrol engines their. Just make sure it has a gasoline/petrol rating (SL or at least SJ) on the bottle for gas/petrol use.

Most of your other common oils there are not seen in the USA.

Gene

[ July 05, 2004, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Gene K ]

Thanks everyone.

See you ask people about GTX 2 and they say, it's a average quality, oil for standard engines. No performance guy would use it in his hot V8. Castrol will even tell you not to!

Mention Penzoil GT Perofrmacne, and now your talkig about a high performacne oil that goes in big dollar engines.

There both 20w 50's and SL. I just cant understand what makes them that different!

TO add, if anyone could help with this too, I would be so grateful.

Then what is it that goes in to a racing Mineral oil that is a 20w 50 that a normal 20w 50 doesn't have.

Eg. BP Corse Plus, a highly rated Mineral racing oil. What's going to be in it that's not in a normal mineral of the same weight when there both limited to say either SH or even if there both SL.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
If the additive packages are the same and the base oils are exactly the same...well that leaves: Marketing.

And there is no real way to tell if one uses a better base oil is there?

quote:

Originally posted by Francis:

quote:

If the additive packages are the same and the base oils are exactly the same...well that leaves: Marketing.

As I stated above a premium oil shouild have a better additive pkg. More Boron, Zinc, Calcium, Moly, etc.

Racing Oils have even more Boron, Zinc, Moly, etc but if they are pure racing oils (not intended for street use) they will have less detergents.

This assumes the same basestock.

Castrol GTX in the states has a pretty robust additive package but we dont get GTX2 to the best of my knowledge. Pennzoil GT performance isnt marketed in the states either.

Many performance V8's in the states get along just fine with standard Pennzoil 10W-30 and Castrol GTX however. Many people even use Castrol GTX20W-50 in Air-Cooled Japanese 4-Cylinder Motorcycles without problems although it would not be my first choice.

I do know Castrol GTX 20W-50 works just fine in a 700 bhp 476ci (7.8L) Big-Block Chevy.

Gene

quote:

Originally posted by Gene K:

quote:

Originally posted by Francis:

quote:

As I stated above a premium oil shouild have a better additive pkg. More Boron, Zinc, Calcium, Moly, etc.

Racing Oils have even more Boron, Zinc, Moly, etc but if they are pure racing oils (not intended for street use) they will have less detergents.

This assumes the same basestock.

Castrol GTX in the states has a pretty robust additive package but we dont get GTX2 to the best of my knowledge. Pennzoil GT performance isnt marketed in the states either.

Many performance V8's in the states get along just fine with standard Pennzoil 10W-30 and Castrol GTX however. Many people even use Castrol GTX20W-50 in Air-Cooled Japanese 4-Cylinder Motorcycles without problems although it would not be my first choice.

I do know Castrol GTX 20W-50 works just fine in a 700 bhp 476ci (7.8L) Big-Block Chevy.

Gene

Have a look at this link. and let me know what you think and how it compares to your GTX range.
http://www.castrol.com.au/products/pdf/GTX2.pdf

I have found a perfect example of what I have been trying to ask.

Check out the two links I have given. Both Pennzoil products. Both mineral. Both SL. Both 20w 50s.

http://www.pennzoil.com.au/?method=...6&product=5B676C27-8C73-30E6-DF7746D8A24349AB

http://www.pennzoil.com.au/?method=...6&product=5B676B1E-8C73-30E6-DBEC7179F52ABB3E

(I hope they both work, if not. www.pennzoil.com.au
the products are Multi-vis and GT Performance)

See how the multi-vis is for standard enignes and how the GT Performance is for high performacne applactions.

What is it that would differ in the make up between the two????

Thanks to all so far that have offered advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back