Help me spend my money! New ADV touring bike!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMC

So I am ready to move up in the motorcycle world. Specifically, I am looking to upgrade to a larger, more powerful adventure touring style bike. I currently ride a 2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 that I upgraded for adventure touring. I really like the KLR and will be sad to see it go. The KLR is economical, comfortable, rock solid reliable, easy to work on and really does go just about anywhere. My problem with the KLR is that I do more long trips and 2 up riding than I even thought I would. The KLR just does not have the power for this and vibrates a bit too much to do long trips.

This being said, I would definitely like to stay in the adventure touring/slightly off road capable style of bike. My budget is about $15,000 max but staying under that would be even better. I prefer to buy new but lightly used is good also. Comfort, capability, reliability and performance are some of the most important features I am looking for. I use my motorcycles for a combination of commuting, longer trips, 2 up trips, light offroad and exploring. In order for me to be happy, I really need a versatile motorcycle.

Here are my top 2 choices plus some others I am considering, please give me any insight opinion you may have:

1. New 2014 Triumph Tiger 800 XC - This bike seems to have mostly positive reviews, makes adequate power, is comfortable, capable and good looking. I have some concern that the 800CC inline triple will be barely adequate for 2 up riding and I also have no idea how reliable or economical this bike will be in the long term ownership. My local dealer is selling this for $12,5K out the door and includes $1500 worth of triumph accessories installed for free, seems like a hard to beat value.

2. New 2014 Suzuki V-strom 1000 Adventure- My local dealer has these for $12K out the door which seems like a good deal. Sitting on this bike was very comfortable and it looks pretty good too. It comes standard with some good accessories like crash bars, hard luggage, ABS and traction control which is nice. It should have typical Suzuki reliability and inexpensive maintenance requirements which I am happy about. From what I can see so far, this bike will need some aftermarket upgrades and also suffers from a very snatchy (on/off) throttle response for which there is no real cure. I also wish this bike had a better sounding exhaust note and a touch more ground clearance but it still seems like a solid choice.

3. Lightly used 2012 Ducati Mulistrada 1200. I normally would say this bike is too expensive to buy and own but a nearby dealer has this listed for $11K which puts it in my price range. I get excited about the idea of owning this bike; 150 horsepower, very good handling, high tech riding modes and rider aids with typical Ducati comfort and quality. This bike is less off road capable than the others but makes up for it with performance and high tech features. I can't seem to find any long term reliability reports and I have heard maintenance can be complicated and expensive. That being said, reviews for this bike are almost all positive and what few owner reports I have seen say this bike is very reliable. I really like this bike but my frugal and practical side makes it an uncomfortable choice for me.

4. A demo 2015 BMW R1200GS. This is another bike that really gets me pumped. I have always wanted one of these but they have always been too expensive for me. A nearby dealer has a lightly used Demo model listed for $17,300. This is a little out of my price range but for such a machine, the price is close enough for me to handle it. This bike is the King of adventure bikes and does everything well. I really like the looks of the new model but again, the frugal and practical demons inside me really talk me out of this one. There is very little user level maintenance on these bikes and I have heard maintenance and repair bills are outrageous on these. However, If reliability is good and maintenance costs are not as expensive as I have heard, I would be super excited and this could very well be the last motorcycle I ever have to buy. I really want this bike but am not sure how much I trust it or if want to spend quite this much money.

Other bikes I am partially considering: 2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000, Aprilia caponord and Yamaha super Tenere.

If you are still reading this, help me spend my money! I am going to buy one of these, I just don't know which yet. Real world experience is the best but opinions and conjecture are OK too!!!

Well since I'm spending your money might as well go for the BMW. I am a former KLR rider that has been on Harleys for the last 10 years. I see BMWs all over the place and most with high miles. Riders always seem happy. Great reliability.

The GS. It's not worth considering anything else. They last forever. Maintenance isn't terrible, but can be pricy if something fails. Preventative maintenance is key. It's not worth letting that dissuade you.

The new models are great, and much more powerful than previous generations. With my upgraded seat, I can ride all day.

Everyone I work with says you'll never go back anything else after riding a BMW. I still have not ridden one yet though

The v storm will be like going home after the klr. A wee storm may be my next bike, as I as well do mostly road riding. Like maybe 80 road 20 dirt.

When I moved up to the 650 I was looking into older tigers. My mom has a Daytona super III. It is at the top of street able motorcycles. Its also a maintenance [censored]. Euro bikes are in general. But boy do they have a riding dynamic.

I haven't rode the newer ones but the older ones are fun

I have also wanted a bmw r 1100 gs, ever since I read Neil perts book "ghost rider"

Originally Posted By: AMC
2. New 2014 Suzuki V-strom 1000 Adventure
From what I can see so far, this bike will need some aftermarket upgrades and also suffers from a very snatchy (on/off) throttle response for which there is no real cure.

Did you come to that conclusion from riding it?

I've ridden 3 of the bikes on that list or very close. The Multi was the 2015, which is updated from the one on your list. The Strom was 2015, and the 800XC 2011, both the same generation as the ones you're looking at.

I didn't have any issues at all with the Vstrom 1000 throttle response. I guess it's possible the demo bike was tuned to solve throttle response--OTOH I haven't read this complaint from others either--or the mapping could have changed a bit from 2014, or sometimes different riders form vastly different impressions from the same bike. Power was modest for the displacement, but sufficient.

If I were choosing for paved road touring no way I'd choose the 800 XC. I don't want to tour on tubed tires, and I don't want to carry the tools to repair them. If much dirt roads or worse were on the list, yeah I'd consider it. Great bike, as I'm sure you know.

As a KLR guy maybe you don't mind carrying a tubed tire repair kit. I'll stick with tubeless tires, and the associated repair stuff (bike mini-pump & plug kit) if I can.

Of the 3 I'm familiar with the Multistrada is easily my favorite, but I liked the other two a lot as well.

Did you look at how tiny the Vstrom right side case is? Huge exhaust cutout. My other problem with that bike is maintenance--awkward spark plug changes. That said I'm considering buying one. I did like it a lot. Brakes, suspension, ergos, engine.

Get the BMW. The 2015 will have the new "wet head" motor which is maybe good maybe bad as they haven't been out that long. If it were me, I would go for a couple of year earlier GS like a 2013. They are the "cam head" motor which is proven and easy to work on. Even the the earlier "hex head" bikes are rock reliable and you can adjust valves with a screw and locknut setup like an old VW. Taking off the bodywork is the hardest part of maintenance and that takes 15 minutes after you do it a couple of times. I have a 2007 RT (same engine as a GS) and it is by far my favorite bike I have owned. I have had a Versys 650 and a Vstrom 650. Easily the Vstrom would be my choice of those 2. I haven't owned a Triumph, but their are not a ton of dealers, similar to BMW. No way I would by the Ducati. Beautiful bikes, fast expensive to work on and high maintanence. Even fewer dealers than BMW and Triumph.

I've ridden all of your choices. From a reliability standpoint, I'd go with the Suzuki.

If an expensive bike, with expensive maintenance and a propensity for gremlins is what you want, then either the Ducati or BMW.

The Ducati is the most sporting. The BMW is more of a jack of all trades.

Wow thanks for all the replies so quickly, Keep them coming!

David_G - No I did not experience that because I haven't ridden one yet. However, almost every review I have read about the V-strom 1000 mentions the snatchy throttle. Every report says the throttle has 2 positions- hauling butt accelerating or major engine braking as soon as you roll off. Smooth, gentle acceleration is very difficult. The G2 throttle tamer kind of helps but doesn't make that big of a difference. Maybe they fixed that issue in 2015, who knows.

What is the big deal with tubed tires? I have never had a problem with them and like the ruggedness of them?

Also- The triumph dealer really wants me to buy the regular tiger 800 which is more road oriented but I didn't like the seating position, lower stance, lower bars and lack of beak.

02SE- Those are my gut feelings also. What is your opinion of the tiger 800 or any of the others I listed such as the Tenere?

OneEyeJack- With a deposit I can take the triumphs for a ride, the rest of the bunch, test rides are a no-go.

Keep the ideas coming!

What is the big deal with tubed tires? I have never had a problem with them and like the ruggedness of them?

Flat repair. Tubeless is dead simply and requires less stuff to carry. Also the speed of deflation when you get a puncture is usually less with tubeless.

I guess I don't see the point of tubes except for style (cruisers or retro bikes) or dirt (e.g. KLR, 800 XC), but if this were about dirt, the Multistrada (and Versys 1000) are a little out of place.

As far as the Vstrom 1000, maybe you can find out for yourself. Is there a Suzuki demo day in your area? I though the throttle response was fine--I didn't notice it at all.

02SE- Those are my gut feelings also. What is your opinion of the tiger 800 or any of the others I listed such as the Tenere?

Sorry, to be clear I was only referring to the bikes you had listed 1-4.

The Tiger 800: While I do like the Triumph Triple sound, I think it's going to feel somewhat underpowered when it's loaded and 2-up. Especially if ridden at higher altitude.

Triumph is also in that somewhat less reliable category in my opinion.

Other than a brief ride on a Super Tenere, I don't have much of an opinion. Except like the GS, it felt a bit heavy and ungainly to go too far off-road. The Yamaha bikes I've had have been reliable.

I have friends that work at various European bike dealerships. In addition to letting me ride the latest models, they tell me the issues the bikes have.

I also have a Brother-in-law that is a BMW Dealer. So I get the scoop from him on BMW's issues. Having said that, I bought a '15 BMW S1000RR from him. If it starts to become a gremlin plagued bike like some BMW's are prone to, I'll get rid of it.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
I also have a Brother-in-law that is a BMW Dealer. So I get the scoop from him on BMW's issues. Having said that, I bought a '15 BMW S1000RR from him. If it starts to become a gremlin plagued bike like some BMW's are prone to, I'll get rid of it.

This statement may have just majorly swayed my decision to spring for the BMW. The bike I am looking at is considered a dealer demo and therefore, still has the full warranty. If I do have a problem with the big beemer, I can get it fixed under warranty for free and then trade it back in for something else like the tiger 800 or V-strom which should be more reliable. The Big BMW's hold their value so well, I should be able to at very least break even and not loose much money if I do decide to trade it in at some point.

Then again, the frugal voice in my head says "The big BMW is too big and expensive to be practical. I also live in a climate that only allows a 7-8 month riding season so you might as well save your money"......

I am so torn..... lol

Have you thought about/can you get the KTM bikes over there? The 990 SMT is road-biased and there is the 990 Adventure or the newer 1190 Adventure.

We can get the KTM's.

I'd strongly advise cruising through the relative sections (GS Spot and Beast) of http://advrider.com/forums/index.php if you have not already.

Of your choices I personally would likely narrow it to the Triumph and GS, both Triumph and BMW as a general rule are easy to test ride. I'd probably then narrow it down by how much distance vs unpaved roads and how the two dealers seemed. If the Triumph suits your needs, you might look at the BMW F800GS as well.

The multi you have listed is a bit too old to be considered "new" to me, and is out of warranty right?

I've ridden a new R1200RT with the water cooled engine, and they really are awesome, a big improvement over the older engine. If the budget stretches to it, I'd go for the Beemer...with the knowledge that it "may" need expensive repairs down the track. But hey, it "may not" either! If all-out reliability is paramount, the V-Strom wins hands down, in my opinion. Keep in mind too, all the bikes you've mentioned are gonna be a handful off-road, compared to a KLR.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
If reliability matters then go Triumph or the Suzuki.

Triumphs are nice machines that are priced very well for what you get.

Indeed! The Tiger 800XC is a very good value, especially considering the bike comes with $1,575 worth of geniune triumph accessories for free. That as far as I am concerned, makes it an even better deal than the V-strom 1000. The overall fit and finish of the Suzuki is inferior to the triumph, IMO also.

I was glad to get a reply like that from you Robenstein. Apparently we agree on more than just guns!

For everyone else - Every time I start speaking honestly with myself, I admit that I rarely offroad. Maybe 10-15% of the time. The problem is, I love the ability to do offroad at any time. Plus I like to not have a care in the world about large obstacles such as: speed bumps, curbs, potholes, sidewalks, ETC. My KLR shrugs all those off like it is nothing. A normal height sportbike or cruiser would have already suffered major underbelly damage by now if I had one of those.

In other words, the one thing I am sure about is, I do not want to give up all ground clearance with my next motorcycle. Sure I am willing to give up some by getting rid of my KLR but I still want a good amount!

Hmmm IMO true happiness comes from 2 bikes
smile.gif
Keep the KLR and get something like Sport Touring ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back