Help me select the right oil

I have a 1994 Dodge Shadow 2.2L tbi 5spd. Im trying to get the most out of this little motor I can (till I can get my turbo engine built) and I was wondering what would be a good oil as far as controling leaks and making it last the longest it has 212K miles on the odo. now I was thinking maybe Mobil 1 10W30 HM also it calls for a 5w30 oil in the 5spd trans. would mobil 5w30 ep be good for that applicatoin My current fill for the engine is Castorl Gtx 5w30

Valvoline Maxlife 5W-30 would be an excellent choice for that engine. It works very well at what you are seeking to accomplish.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Valvoline Maxlife 5W-30 would be an excellent choice for that engine. It works very well at what you are seeking to accomplish.
+1 Or consider a comparable oil like Pennzoil High Mileage on sale at Walmart. All will work fine. I'm not sure I'd switch to a synthetic now and wouldn't recommend an expensive oil like M1 in a high mileage motor. But, it's your money so do whatever you think is best.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Agreed. Maxlife( blend or full syn - your choice )in 5W-30. I would recommend a synthetic oil, of your choice, in the trans if it calls for 5W-30.

Last edited:
Since you are in VA, I think I would suggest 10w-30. I used to run a lot of these old 2.2/2.5 engines, they are really tough - especially the later ones like you have. If you check the manual, it will recommend 5W-30 for ambient temps under 100F, and 10W-30 for 0F and up. Since it is up there in the mileage and not a modern motor at all, I'd run 10W-30.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Since it is up there in the mileage and not a modern motor at all, I'd run 10W-30.
I agree. Penn YB 10-30.