Help me read this parts diagram please

I'm replacing the clutch on my echo trimmer and looking at #14 on the parts diagram it looks to me like both these pieces are included in line item number #14. I mean what good is one clutch shoe? These items were on back order and took about 3 weeks to arrive and I only received one shoe and I assumed it was an assembly so I should have gotten two of these. Another $5 isn't a big deal, but now I probably have to pay $9.95 for shipping and wait another 3 weeks. Isn't the diagram misleading? Doesn't it look like I should get two clutch shoes when I order (1) of number 14?

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/j...0-s-n-t87114001001-t87114999999/fan-case

Last edited by a moderator:
You are correct. Most parts descriptions usually state how many of those individual parts you need, i.e., in this case 2. Lesson learned. Chock it up to experience. Move on. This is one of the expenses of us moving to an on-line buying experience vs. going to the old style, well-staffed local dealer who would have told you to order two of the parts. We somewhat have ourselves to blame by choosing mail order (cheap) vs. local brick and morter establishments. Just a sign of the changing times.

Okay I'll tell them to send me another clutch shoe tomorrow free of charge. If a clutch shoe is anything like a brake shoe one is usually a little smaller than the other, hence again why I didn't question it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed; the diagram should not point to both of them and use a single number to designate them. At the very least there should be a note that states "two required" or something to that effect.

That is a very confusing diagram, but it's correct. Take a look at #7. It includes 8,9,10, and 11. Now, look at #9. It branches into two legs, indicating that both bearings are the same PN however if you ordered just #9 I'm sure you would get one, whereas if you ordered #7 you would get two.

Sorry about the misfortune, hopefully the next show shows up quicker.

Originally Posted by GSCJR
It does say shoe and not shoe(s) in the description though.

Yeah but $7 and #14 are shown as an assembly.

Originally Posted by GSCJR
Yes, but only #7 says assembly in the description.

I shouldn't have to look it over with a magnifying glass.

I called. They didn't care and I had to buy the part along with the shipping. Oh well plus it took 30 minutes on hold to even be able to talk to someone.

Back