Help me pick out suspension for 14 Tundra TRD

I'm really open to anything thats gonna help the ride, handling and looks. I haul fairly regularly, and rarely tow. Most miles are highway miles. Has close to 200k on the odo. Thought about Fox or Icons but just don't know enough about the topic

I am a big fan of Bilstein 5100's. They worked well on my Tacoma. Nice and firm-slightly stiff. They are adjustable, so you can get dialed in on the rake.

I'm really open to anything thats gonna help the ride, handling and looks. I haul fairly regularly, and rarely tow. Most miles are highway miles. Has close to 200k on the odo. Thought about Fox or Icons but just don't know enough about the topic
Tundras.com if you havent already been there.

Bilstein is always a good choice. The 4600 is a good upgrade

Monroe has Magnum quick struts which are supposed to good for truck duty. KYB has quick struts with monotube Gas-A-Just struts for your Tundra (they are silver in the pictures on Rock Auto).

I am a big fan of Bilstein 5100's. They worked well on my Tacoma. Nice and firm-slightly stiff. They are adjustable, so you can get dialed in on the rake.
Bilstein makes the best shocks period. They have different models if the truck has been lifted.
But there suspension parts could be worn. Springs can be worn. Rubber parts on anti-sway bars.

Trucks with solid front axles are never going to have a Mercedes like ride. Although I do not think your Tundra has a solid front axle.

IDK but My sons 2013 4 WD Tundra TRD is the harshest riding truck I’ve ever driven.

My 2016 4WD Tundra (factory suspension, 20" wheels, P275/55R20 tires) rides quite well. Wonder what your son has done to his truck to change that...

Can't go wrong with Bilsteins. As was said - Tundras.com has endless suspension threads. But if you're carrying a load, skip springs that are made for long travel off-road work.

Is yours TRD or not? My 06 TRD with tow pkg rode really stiff. Bilstein 5100 was a decent match for it. I would NOT lift the front to level it out if you carry any kind of load or tow at all. I raised the front mildly and regretted it for towing. The bilsteins were a good match for it, and it had a super-controlled ride with stock springs and just the shocks. In hindsight, I should have gone with the 4600 and skipped the mild lift to the front end.

Bilsteins would be my pick. There really isn’t a reason to bro out and get remote reservoir shocks besides looks - there is an off-road benefit(cooler, less aeration) but it serves little reason for pavement.

Trucks with solid front axles are never going to have a Mercedes like ride. Although I do not think your Tundra has a solid front axle.
All Tundras have IFS. TRD trucks get either Bilstein(TRD Off Road) or Fox(TRD Pro) shocks.

You mentioned looks and handling for mostly pavement driving. You cannot beat Bilstein's ride height adjustable 5100 series for your Tundra. It utilizes stock springs and tops out at 2-1/4" lift, which makes alignment easy after the install. The ride will be a bit more firm, but nothing jarring. It will change the plush stock ride to more of a 'truck' ride.

On Tundras, stock size tires still look okay with increasing height to 1-1/2". Those who opt for over 2" usually install larger tires to even out the look. I recommend +1" all-terrain tire (275/70/18), which is a good balance of looks and won't kill your fuel mileage.

If you don't plan on driving offroad, investing in Fox, King, or Icon will be a waste of money. Those are expensive, premium suspension systems designed to absorb whatever rough terrain can dish out.

One word of caution. Stay away from spacer leveling kits. One deep pothole is all you'll need to understand why. Stick with coilover lifts.

Last edited:
Back