help me pick locks for my house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dishdude
A 6 pin Schlage might be a decent compromise, it gives you slightly more pick resistance than the standard 5 pin locks that you buy at Home Depot.

This is what was recommended to me by my locksmith and I like it.

you can have the strongest deadbolt made, and it's useless if the door jamb is wood, and the strike plate is fastened with the typical 3/4" screws.
a metal door frame is the only "reasonably" secure setup.if you must work with a wood frame, secure the strike plate with 4" screws (predrill to avoid cracking the wood). this way, the screws go through the jamb, and through the jack and king studs.it's the next best thing to a metal framed door.
grade level and first storey windows should have some form of decorative bar setup. it depends on what level of security you want. an alarm setup is an excellent deterrent.
picking locks is a joke. a typical thief will boot in your door, or bust a window. this is where the alarm excels. a couple of loud sirens, in a residential area, will make a thief leave immediately.if you make it difficult and time consuming for a thief to gain entry, he will go elsewhere.
again, it depends on what level of security is desired.good luck, and have a good night.

Originally Posted By: yeti
you can have the strongest deadbolt made, and it's useless if the door jamb is wood, and the strike plate is fastened with the typical 3/4" screws.
a metal door frame is the only "reasonably" secure setup.if you must work with a wood frame, secure the strike plate with 4" screws (predrill to avoid cracking the wood). this way, the screws go through the jamb, and through the jack and king studs.it's the next best thing to a metal framed door.
grade level and first storey windows should have some form of decorative bar setup. it depends on what level of security you want. an alarm setup is an excellent deterrent.
picking locks is a joke. a typical thief will boot in your door, or bust a window. this is where the alarm excels. a couple of loud sirens, in a residential area, will make a thief leave immediately.if you make it difficult and time consuming for a thief to gain entry, he will go elsewhere.
again, it depends on what level of security is desired.good luck, and have a good night.

A carpenter will properly shim the striker and deadbolt solid and use at least a 3" screw,colour matched to the lock sets finish of course and I guarantee it's going to take enough sledgehammer blows that someone will hear it,to get through that door. Or of course vice grips.
A steel jamb doesn't guarantee security either. Locks are for honest people.
A set of vice grips will open any locked knob,and twist over any deadbolt,in seconds,so security is only as strong as the person monitoring it.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
A 6 pin Schlage might be a decent compromise, it gives you slightly more pick resistance than the standard 5 pin locks that you buy at Home Depot.

Schlage seem to hold up well over the years, I see them on a lot of houses for sale. Sometimes cheap locks start to pit and look pretty rough after a couple years. For myself on rental properties I usually just use the cheapest locks such as Defiant at Home Depot. About $10 each, that way I don't have to charge the tenants that much for changing them. Over the years whenever anyone ever broke into the apartment, it was mostly through brute force even with those cheap locks. A pain to repair the door jambs, but I don't recall a tenant that ever got robbed through a picked lock. Plus another landlord friend of mine likes them because they're easy to drill out if the key is lost. I think the best comment I heard about them was when I asked at a Home Depot if they rekeyed Defiant, the guy said no and he said you mind as well leave the door open. I've also seen people cut through a deadbolt with a sawsall blade.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: Tdbo

Schlage seem to hold up well over the years, I see them on a lot of houses for sale. Sometimes cheap locks start to pit and look pretty rough after a couple years. For myself on rental properties I usually just use the cheapest locks such as Defiant at Home Depot. About $10 each, that way I don't have to charge the tenants that much for changing them. Over the years whenever anyone ever broke into the apartment, it was mostly through brute force even with those cheap locks. A pain to repair the door jambs, but I don't recall a tenant that ever got robbed through a picked lock. Plus another landlord friend of mine likes them because they're easy to drill out if the key is lost. I think the best comment I heard about them was when I asked at a Home Depot if they rekeyed Defiant, the guy said no and he said you mind as well leave the door open. I've also seen people cut through a deadbolt with a sawsall blade.

When I bought mine, I went in to buy a Medeco. I wanted a 6 pin lock.

My locksmith recommended the Schlage. He showed me both locks and stated that the real advantage to the Medeco is the key management. It almost takes an act of Congress to get a key made for the Medeco. The Schlage is a special blank that is only available through a locksmith (or so he says.)

The Schlage is a nice lock, and I was somewhat impressed that he knew what he was talking about and he was actually down selling me (the Medeco was another $60 on top of the $124. I paid for the Schlage.)

I have taken all the commonsense steps: larger screws, beefed up strike plate etc. However, the bottom line is still that locks keep honest people honest. If someone wants in bad enough, they will find a way.

We have the home depot schlage ones on all our doors. 10 years and no issues and there is a life time warranty if the finish gets rough. The kids like to hang from the knobs and swing but even the interior grade one seem to handle that too.
They have never been tested, and I'm sure some one could boot the doors in as we never set the dead bolts in the day.

Bumping someone else's thread, as it pertained to me. Does Home Depot or Lowe's rekey for free? I just bought three door handle sets and then realized I had two more deadbolts to rekey. Spur of the moment buy; I was in the hardware store for something else and found the door pulls that I wanted. Only one needed to be rekeyed so I paid the $7 to have it done on the spot. I'll have to call and see if they will do the deadbolts for the same $7/per; but I'm wondering if the big box stores would have done that for free or not.

I do see a Schlage rekey kit for like $10, haven't ruled that option out.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Maybe move to nicer area where you don't have to worry about break ins.
I'm not kidding.

So you never lock your house?

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
One usually only needs to pick locks for other people's houses.

I was thinking along these lines. Picking locks is an overloaded term.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Get an alarm system and put the stickers where the thieves can see them.

Or, if you are cheap, buy the stickers and put them where the thieves can see them and omit the alarm.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Maybe move to nicer area where you don't have to worry about break ins.
I'm not kidding.

So you never lock your house?

I lock my doors, but ultimately my dogs keep strangers away from house.

Sure. I'm sure our dog would do that too, but occasionally we take the dog with us when we go out... thus I like having locks on the house. Heck I even like locking the doors when I'm home, if only to keep friends from just walking in.

I really don't understand why you are against locks.

BTW, I am in a low crime area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back