Help me pick lawn mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont' mind my front-wheel-drive Craftsman, but next time I buy a self-propel, it will be a rear-wheel-drive unit.

Terry, anything that has what you want in the $350 price range is going to be the same in regards to quality.

Joel

I thought Toro had nothing but problems with the personal pace? It sounds like the personal pace mowers whether it's Toro, Honda etc. are nothing but problems. I think I would go the regular self-propelled mower. The customers reviews are somewhat misleading because the mowers they bought probably haven't even been used a full season yet. And any new mower you buy is going to seem like a gem compared to the ten year old mower you were using.

Best mower I`ve ever used was a Honda. Also,get rear-wheel drive ONLY. Every front-wheel drive mower we`ve ever owned was a total pos.

increase your budget a little....

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=309075-46716-961430044&lpage=none

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=309076-46716-961430046&lpage=none

20.gif

I prefer a FWD mower. When the bag fills up with clippings on a RWD mower, the front end starts to get light and wants to "wheely"

Last edited:
I always found I could work faster with a mulching Husqvarna without self-propel, and a rake. I could mow and clean up a double (100 by 120) lot in approximately fifty minutes.

Don't go by brand of lawnmower, go by the brand of engine and it's design because it will most likely need the most done to it over the years!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Don't go by brand of lawnmower, go by the brand of engine and it's design because it will most likely need the most done to it over the years!
wink.gif

+1

Make sure the engine label says H o n d a....

Last edited:
wink.gif

Gotta disagree with most of that. I do agree that OHV is the way to go (design), but given equal care, the engine is normally the last thing to go on a pushmower.

Joel

I didn't say the engine is the first to go, I said it's the thing that needs the most done to it over the years. (Maintenance and small repairs!)
wink.gif

Thanks on evey comment.

They seem mix preference. I used to have 4.5 hp, self propelled, front wheel drive. It's still working but runing rough. I need a new one since I'll have second house.

Originally Posted By: JTK
wink.gif

Gotta disagree with most of that. I do agree that OHV is the way to go (design), but given equal care, the engine is normally the last thing to go on a pushmower.

Joel

Usually the OHV/OHC engines of any brand are the "better grade engines".

Last edited:
I didn't say the engine is the first to go, I said it's the thing that needs the most done to it over the years. (Maintenance and small repairs!)
wink.gif

As far as I know, all small OPE engines require the same amount of maintenance- per manufacturer specs anyway. Dunno of any that spec little/no maint.

Joel

Lowes has the Commercial John deere 21" with zero turn wheels on yhe front and it's on clearance. It looks well made. 8.75 HP briggs OHV with primer.

Its now $397 from $525

Bags/has a side discharge chute that comes down if the bagging chute is removed. Mulch kit? Probably available?

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
I'd buy 2 $175 ones and leave one in the box. Use one to do what you need and in 15 years, when it wears out, unbox the other one.
grin2.gif
Now that is thinking outside the box!...Not a half-bad idea really...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back