Help me pick for a short OCI on new Duratec 3.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sort of in a weird situation. My MKZ had 700 mi, and was on the lot for over 1 year when I bought it new. The dealer owner drove it for awhile (I assume short trips). Thus, I did the first OCI the same weekend I bought it. (OLM came on when I test drove. They reset it prior to me taking delivery). At 700 mi, it got fresh MC 5w20 + P1 filter (DIY). Lincolns come with FREE maintenance for 1 year. This means at 6/7500 & 12/15,000, I will use the dealer's freebies: free MC oil + MC filter is always good.

However, I plan to change again prior to the first FREE (official) OCI. I figured I'd run this initial MC until about 3500, and then change with a cheap OCI, and run until 7500 (or 6 months). So, for an approximate 3-4k/3-4 month cheap, short OCI here are a few choices:

1. Current AAP Havoline + P Classic filter = $13.99 (I don't think they have the P Classic filter I need. P1 = $2 extra)

2. O'Reilly's Synthetic + M1 filter = $19.99. (I'd save the M1 filter for a longer OCI -- buy a cheaper filter).

3. Napa Synthetic $3.29/qt + P1 I already have = $16.45

4. Cheapest 5 qt jug of Dino at Walmart (PYB) + ST filter = ~$16

5. MC + MC filter = ~$20.

6. None -- run the current MC until 6 months.

7. Use the cheapest certified 5w20 I can find -- and don't change filter = ~$11.50

All prices = 5 qts. I need another 1/2 -- which isn't included. I do currently have another P1 filter on hand, but was planning to save it for a longer OCI. Another thought was, "Ford might frown on a SuperTech filter" (option 4). I plan to use PP, PU, or (X) synthetic after my year of freebies. I'm leaning towards Option #1.

I would go for a combination of #4 and #5 - MC Filter and PYB. PYB is known fairly well for its cleaning properties and MC filters are quite good.

Just my $0.02...

For my money #1 is the best deal. Same price as Wally and you get a better oil and P1 for the same price. Plus the way some of us grabbed deals on the discount codes, we need to help AA stay in business! :)

Thanks to the AAP coupon codes, I just grabbed some more P1 filters for $3 (regular $8.99 for the 3.5). One can't go wrong at that price. Thus, I will probably just go with a jug of PYB + a 1/2 qt of PP (since that will be the next thing I buy). I hate messing with 1/2 qts.

I almost hate using a P1 filter for a short interval, but it can't be beat for $3!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back