help me pick a synthetic oil for my new truck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500HD with the gas 6.0 engine. I have 1000 miles on it and am ready to do the first oil change.

I am looking for an oil that I can use year round.
I have had very good luck with M1 5w30 in my mopar minivans. Little consumption and no excessive engine noise.

I understand that this engine is prone to have "engine slap CSK" on cold starts. The 2003 6.0's are suppose to have new coated pistions to prevent CSK.

I heard that some engines are are louder with MI 5w30.

The owners manual says to use 5w30.

Could I use a 0w30? Is it worth the added cost to have the 0 weight?

We get really cold in the winter and hot in the summer.

As far as the oil filters go, I have a source that gets me 25% of retail on any hasitings filters, so I have used nothing but hastings for the past 10 years!!

Thanks

[ September 11, 2003, 02:58 AM: Message edited by: Ross ]

Hello, I have a 2003 1500 with the 5.3 and I have been using Mobil 1 5/10 w30. The engine has a tiny bit of slap sometimes but so far 8,700 miles it has not burned any oil. I started to use M1 at 2,800 miles. I don't think you can go wrong with it. I'm going to see how the 10w30 does year round for me as it is a little thicker. Good luck!
smile.gif

I was only 8 in 1968. If you went to the zoo then you saw Clyde the bear. He was the largest Kodiak
bear in captivity. He died sometime in the late 80's.

0w30 Amsoil or 0w30 German Syntec would both be excellent choices you could use all year round. They both flow extremely well in cold, but both also perform extremely well in the heat and won't thin out during long intervals.

Don't overlook Delvac 1 (5W-40). I'm not saying it the very best choice for you I am merely throwing it into the mix. My son has used it it here in Pa. Last winter we did get some temps well below zero. The main reason I mentioned it is bc it does cut down on the piston slap.

[ September 11, 2003, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: Al ]

I'm afraid that if you go with a 0 weight oil, you will hear even more noises than with the 5w30.

Personally the noises don't bother me as I know I'm getting better protection at startup and any other time for that matter than using a conventional oil.

If you are really concerned with noise, the synthetic 10w30 will quiet things down more, and will probably flow just as good if not better than a conventional 5w30.

My personal opinion would be to use Mobil 1 5w30 if you desire an off the shelf oil.

If your looking for extended drains Amsoils 5w30 ASL is another great choice.

Lastly, if it were me, I'd run one more oil change with a conventional based oil until about 3,000 miles. Then change over to a synthetic with 6,000 or more mile drains.

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:
I'm afraid that if you go with a 0 weight oil, you will hear even more noises than with the 5w30.

I have to disagree with you here. In the case of German 0w30, it's thicker than Mobil 1 5w30 at 40c by quite a huge margin (68.5 cst vs 54 cst) so under most weather conditions other than extreme cold, this oil is thicker.

And Amsoil 0w30 is also a bit thicker than Mobil 1 5w30 at 40c too (Amsoil is 57.3 cst at 40c)

So the cold startup noise would be less with either of those oils compared to M1.

And both of those oils are a lot thicker at 100c too, so the noise once warmed up would be lessened too.

quote:

Patman,

you got me there, boy do you have the viscosities memorized for all lubes or what??

Hehe, for some of them yes, but I also keep a printout of all the specs for Amsoil, Redline, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Schaeffer Oil and Castrol in my desk drawer here at work, and I have those same photocopies at home too.
smile.gif

[ September 11, 2003, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Patman,

you got me there, boy do you have the viscosities memorized for all lubes or what??

Hehe, for some of them yes, but I also keep a printout of all the specs for Amsoil, Redline, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Schaeffer Oil and Castrol in my desk drawer here at work, and I have those same photocopies at home too.
smile.gif

We are not worthy!
grin.gif
bowdown.gif
(At least I have more GC than you!
grin.gif
)

Thanks for the advice guys!

Since I have had good luck with the M1 5w30 in the past, I will start with that. If I do get alot of engine noise I will alter the oil type at that time. Hopefully the GM changes in the 6.0 for 2003 will keep it quite. Of all the cars/trucks that I have owned over the years, this one gives me the biggest grin when I drive it!

Just to add two bits:

I had M1 5w30 in my 5.3L and was never happy with the oil pressure or the slightly elevated noise. I've gone with a Heavy Duty 0W30 and everything is better now.

[ September 11, 2003, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: sub_zero ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back