Help me pick a filter for my 5.3 and LS1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was using a Napa Gold and and most recently an AC delco UPF44. I got start up noise using the Napa Gold and even more using the UPF44 in both engines and lower oil pressure. I'm looking for a high flow filter with good filtration. Which would be a good choice for these 2 2 engine? I though these 2 flowed great but the oil filter study says different and I think that is where I'm getting the start up noise. Thanks for the help!
smile.gif

I'm not sure if a filter change will help your situation. But according to grease's study, the Purolator had the best flow for a mainstream filter, and good filtering to boot.

-T

How do you equate flow and start up noise?
Start up noise is typically caused by a filter that has drained while the engine is off.

Try a Baldwin filter B1432. It is my first choice for my 4.8 GMC. I order them from Shoup at 1-800-627-6137 for about $7.00 each.

Weird! Since my first change at 500 miles in my LS1 i've used the Napa Gold or Wix Equiv 51522 extended filter and have no start up noises or anything of the sort.

The start up noise I'm refering to is like pistone slap and goes away after 15 seconds on a hot start. It has always been there but when I started using the UPF 44 it got at least twice as loud.

I prefer Baldwin filters for all my vehicles except the old Mercedes diesel Panzerwagon (1984 300SD) which gets OEM Mann or Knecht filters.

Another source of Baldwins that I have used is www.adiesel.com

quote:

Originally posted by k1xv:
I prefer Baldwin filters for all my vehicles except the old Mercedes diesel Panzerwagon (1984 300SD) which gets OEM Mann or Knecht filters.

Another source of Baldwins that I have used is www.adiesel.com

Me too. I like the quality of the construction and think they are a good compromise between flow and filtration. A real quality product.

cool.gif
My wife's previous car (4 cyl Grand Am) would rattle at start-up with an AC or SuperTech filter but not with a K&N or Mobil 1. (Her new car will hit the first OCI today, so I get to change it tonight and put in Mobil 1. Goody-goody!
grin.gif
)

People told me that excessive start up noise was clealry an indication of Fram's poor quality ADBV valve. In all fairness, we must now include both AC's high end filter and Napa Gold's.

quote:

Originally posted by Bill Kapaun:

quote:

Originally posted by Chris B.:
I was using a Napa Gold and and most recently an AC delco UPF44. I got start up noise using the Napa Gold and even more using the UPF44 in both engines and lower oil pressure. I'm looking for a high flow filter with good filtration. Which would be a good choice for these 2 2 engine? I though these 2 flowed great but the oil filter study says different and I think that is where I'm getting the start up noise. Thanks for the help!
smile.gif

Aren't some GM engines known for excessive piston slap?
Until you find a filter that does away with your "start up" noise, I'm not sure if you can really condemn other filters. It may be a problem with the engines themselves!
Are you using a heavier than recommended oil weight?

I'm now using GC which is "supposed" to make these engines quiet. I was using Mobil 1 10w30 and mostly Napa golds and the engine was much quieter. I still think it is the oil filter. I'm going to stick it out and do a UOA and then fr fill with GC and probibly a K&N oil filter to see what the extra flow does.

My mind says the only thing that changed was the oil,so I would say that's the problem....just my .02.....
dunno.gif

Keith-T

I have no idea what you mean. Objective criteria should apply to all filters. If this person had reported that he was having trouble with excessive start up noise with a Fram filter every one would be blaming the filter. You know that's true. When it's a filter you guys like, it's a different story.

Talk about a lack of critical thinking.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris B.:
smile.gif

Aren't some GM engines known for excessive piston slap?
Until you find a filter that does away with your "start up" noise, I'm not sure if you can really condemn other filters. It may be a problem with the engines themselves!
Are you using a heavier than recommended oil weight?

I suspect the filter as I have heard more then a few state they have lower oil pressure using the UPF44. These GM V8's are built looser and 99% of folks seem to believe that they like a thicker oil so GC should make this engine quieter.

Should I switch the oil filter now and see what happends with engine noise or finish out this OCI with the UPF44 on there now???? What do you guys think? Both ways I'm doing a UOA.

If it was me I would suck a half can of Seafoam through the PCV and dump the other half in the gas tank. If that dosn't quite it down then play with the filter. IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back