Help me make a decision on engine coolant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Donald
So if you decide on a common coolant are you going to flush all the old coolants out using a garden hose then distilled water then refill with e selected coolant all at your apartment?

Probably not at my apartment but sometimes the weekend is fair game. ...€

Originally Posted by Zahndkile
I was hoping for more discussion on the chemical reasons for choosing one or another coolant.
Isn't 2-EHA the only additive that really causes problems? Doesn't it damage some gaskets?

30 year old internet news. If you drive a 1990 Citation maybe use something else: Otherwise:

Prestone.PNG

2eha been covered covered many times this subforum. When FCA/Mopar switched to OAT AF in 2013 they did not include 2eha as inhibitor. An SAE article did a good job summarizing information on it's use. Except from it.....

"Neither Chrysler nor Fiat has released the complete composition formula for their antifreezes. They reportedly are cocktails of three organic acids, featuring sebacate, but no 2-ethylhexanoate (2-EHA). The latter is a cost-effective but controversial additive that softens plastics, particularly silicone, leading to leaks from affected sealing materials, which means that silicone cannot be used in gaskets, O-rings, and hoses if the antifreeze contains 2-EHA." Two different Motor Mag articles 2004, 2010 on AF types basically said similar.

Linked is the SAE article but reading full article now requires subscription. Neither the Honda (Type II Phoat) nor Ford topic vehicle use 2eha in AF.

https://www.scribd.com/document/375...T-Antifreeze-for-Longer-Service-Interval

Originally Posted by Sayjac
2eha been covered covered many times this subforum. When FCA/Mopar switched to OAT AF in 2013 they did not include 2eha as inhibitor. An SAE article did a good job summarizing information on it's use. Except from it.....

"Neither Chrysler nor Fiat has released the complete composition formula for their antifreezes. They reportedly are cocktails of three organic acids, featuring sebacate, but no 2-ethylhexanoate (2-EHA). The latter is a cost-effective but controversial additive that softens plastics, particularly silicone, leading to leaks from affected sealing materials, which means that silicone cannot be used in gaskets, O-rings, and hoses if the antifreeze contains 2-EHA." Two different Motor Mag articles 2004, 2010 on AF types basically said similar.

Linked is the SAE article but reading full article now requires subscription. Neither the Honda (Type II Phoat) nor Ford topic vehicle use 2eha in AF.

Umm, I don't think this is an SAE paper. Also, the ad for SAE Vehicle Engineering on the same page is a rip-off from the real SAE sanctioned Publication SAE Automotive Engineering. Notice there is no SAE monogram attached. No real credibility here.

Last edited:
Haha. SAE paper my you know what. The article was written by Paul Weissler. Paul Weissler is a writer for Popular Mechanics. What a frigging joke. No SAE Paper here folks. He also was a contributing writer for Motor Mag. See the connection? Bunch of useless clutter left over from the days of the lousy gaskets in GM's back the 90's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by pbm
I'd use the new PEAK coolant that's sold everywhere and, unlike the Prestone, contains no 2EHA.

+1

Absolutely nothing wrong with 2-EHA. It's in both Dexcool and Prestone with Cor-Guard. There is a lot of internet garbage left over from when there were problems with bad gaskets in 90's GM's. Time to put that away.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Sayjac

Although you probably didn't know this Sayjac. That did not come from an SAE article. It was from an article written by Paul Weissler, a writer for Popular Mechanics and Motor Magazine. Nice old guy but probably got caught up in the Dexcool vs bad gaskets in the 90's. Now its just a bunch of internet garbage getting recycled.

Last edited:
Here is an excerpt from the 2019 Chevrolet Corvette owners manual. Guess what. It's Dexcool containing 2-EHA. Funny how Chevy picked this bad stuff that a lot of Bitoggers love to hate.

Dexcool.PNG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Absolutely nothing wrong with 2-EHA. It's in both Dexcool and Prestone with Cor-Guard. There is a lot of internet garbage left over from when there were problems with bad gaskets in 90's GM's. Time to put that away.

There are other problems with 2-Eha, it softens silicone gaskets and seals, attacks lead solder that is used in older radiators.

Somehow the original dexcool (minus what was replaced when the water pump failed) is still original in the 2005 Silverado I drive at work. It looks old but has yet to cause any side effects at 200k.

Although you probably didn't know this Sayjac. That did not come from an SAE article. It was from an article written by Paul Weissler, a writer for Popular Mechanics and Motor Magazine.....
Actually the article came directly from the SAE magazine and was posted to this subforum long before you were a member here. In fact not long after it was published, as proven in link here. And subsequently posted/linked many times later. Note all links include "sae", and heading reads "SAE International/SAE Mobilus. So what if Weissler did write it, doesn't change the accuracy of the information in article. Weissler wrote the 04 and 2010 on AF types in Motor Mag, both of which have been frequently cited/quoted over the years this website too, and not just by me. Based on that, it seems generally speaking Weissler well respected and his articles well received this forum/subforum. That said, seems Weissler and his articles appear to have touched a nerve with you.
smile.gif

Anyway accurate as posted, no Asian Phoat AF uses 2eha as inhibitor. G-05 doesn't use it and Ford hasn't back spec'd it using their Orange Dex. Conventional doesn't use it. So if I were looking for a universal AF as the query seemed to initially imply, I'd go with the Peak 10X, not a 2eha Dexclone like Prestone. According to link seems at least a few bitogers agree. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...hy-cant-i-use-this-peak-in-uh-everything

All that said, if the OP chooses to use DexCool or 2eha Dexclone universal in his vehicles in including the Honda and Ford, his call. Obviously I wouldn't but to each thier own.

I previously noted that fact in prior quoted post, ie., 'since first posted in link in 2013, SAE has gone to subscription site system'. Once again information accurate as posted, changes nothing. But, thanks for the tip.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back