Help me install an extra gas tank for my 1992 car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have finally ironed out the minor kinks (alternator, starter, and battery) for my 1992 Corolla and like to use it for emergency situation when driving a far distant is a must. I really like it because it is low profile and cheap so people won't want to steal it and its gas mileage is about 35+ mpg on highway doing 70 mph.

I like to install an extra gas tank of 10-15 gallon capacity. I realize that I can always carry 3 or 4 used detergent jugs and refill my main gas tank but I saw what happened during Katrina, where people was getting mugged or begged for whatever little gas they had because they were prepare. I also followed the CNET's editor story closely and realize that having extra gas at all time probably would have saved his life.

So I like to be able to install an extra tank to be placed inside my trunk. I thought about running hose from this tank to the main tank and take advantage of gravity to replenish the main tank. I don't mind having to pop the trunk to refill the extra there. Also, I am gas mileage Nazi and know how much gas my car has at all time base on miles driven, so I don't need any fancy modification to the gas gage.

Also, a helpful hint of where to buy parts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Try these guys (or someone like them)
http://www.summitracing.com/
and search for fuel cell (A 50 cent word for fuel tank).

A "fuel cell" is a bit pricey, but it would be nice to have something durable if you have 10 gallons of gas inside your car.

Wont the gas mileage suffer if you add more fuel weight, isn't that the reason they don't add a larger tank at the factory to maximize fuel efficiency, thats what came to mind when I filed up my 2005 Civic it cost around $15 or $20.

OK how about a couple of drop tanks, make them out of kegs. nothing is going to be safe, in rout refueling is popular, just pull over. Often I wanted a larger tank, mainly for hurricane evac.

get a 5 gallon gas can. if you cant get to where you need to be in 150 or so miles, you dont need to be there.

You want to be concerned about vapors staying inside the trunk and igniting when, say, a tail-light bulb goes out. Plus the fumes will get through the rear seat and make you dizzy or insane.

I would not carry this around with you all the time. You also drive an accord? If things go to heck and you're at work and have the "wrong car" are you going to go home and change cars before you scram?

DO NOT USE DETERGENT JUGS for gas! no no! There's at thread here somewhere by a guy who used water bottles for gas and they dissolved in his trunk.

Merely posessing a couple cheap 5 gal cans will be handy if trouble happens... then when you do find gas you can get more. They may ration to just car tanks, so you'll need to be subtle.

Gas only stay fresh for about 6 months, so if I were you I would rather have an external tank that I can cycle the fuel through normal usage and keep it fresh.

Why do you want an emergency car? Wouldn't a normal vehicle that you are using daily be a better choice?

M1Accord- this sounds like a really extreme measure for Katrina-like "what ifs", plus you're in DC. I would be VERY concerned with performing a modification like this. Your car was not crash tested with a make-shift additional gas tank in the trunk or wherever you're planning to put it. Who's to say this type of additional gas tank won't light you up in an accident? Not to mention the extra weight would lower your MPG, less storage space, etc.

Add the fuel cell since it's reasonably safe and plumbable. Use an electric xfer pump to send fuel to the main tank when low. You don't want to keep the main tank over-full since it needs to breathe through the vehicle's emissions plumbing. Consider the fuel cells that fit in the spare tire well since they'll sit lower and offer less head pressure into the main tank. Think I'd shoot for the 5-7 gal range. Remember to actually use the spare fuel on occasion since it ages past 6 months

Originally Posted By: Vilan
You might consider a couple of these...

http://www.wnep.com/Global/story.asp?S=6558361&nav=menu158_3

They're fairly expensive, but I think they're good for about 5 years. And they have much less volatile compounds than gas so it's safer to store in your trunk. I'm not sure that Pennzoil makes them anymore, but maybe you can find something similar.

YMMV, but I did an extensive search for Rescue Emergency Fuel this past summer for a co-worker who is constantly running out of gas. It was discontinued about five years ago with a five year shelf life... So even if you find old stock, chances are it is past the expiration date and may not be effective in an emergency situation.

Good product idea tho.

Originally Posted By: moving2
Your car was not crash tested with a make-shift additional gas tank in the trunk or wherever you're planning to put it. Who's to say this type of additional gas tank won't light you up in an accident?

Exactly..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back