Help me Improve gas mileage in my escape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any way I can improve my gas mileage? I'm lucky to get 275 miles to the tank. Clean air intake? Fuel additives? Anything? This thing is a pig and I am going broke on gas.

Originally Posted By: BrandonVA
Is there any way I can improve my gas mileage? I'm lucky to get 275 miles to the tank. Clean air intake? Fuel additives? Anything? This thing is a pig and I am going broke on gas.

None of the above. How's the spark plugs? Also how does it run? It should get around 20mpg.

New upstream o2 sensors. Even if they are not throwing codes, they get slow. I picked up almost 2 mpg when i replaced the ones in my former 01 escape xlt 3.0 v-6. Save your self some trouble and get the ones with the correct plug, not universal.

My mpg when i had it was 18 city 22-23 hwy.

Last edited:
I don't remember it being difficult. But it depends on how mechanically inclined you are. I would look underneath and identify them and see if you think you can replace them.

Yeah O2 sensor 1st thing, and if everything else is good mechanically then I'd start looking at other things to do. I've managed to seriously reduce fuel consuption in my car by adding Liqui Moly MoS2 to my oil and TCW3 outboard 2 stroke to my fuel tank as well as making sure my tires are always pumped up about 2 psi above spec.
On highway runs I can get 1000km (620mi) out of a 68l tank in a Ford 4.0 with a 4 speed auto. Works out around 34 mpg

Originally Posted By: spasm3
New upstream o2 sensors. Even if they are not throwing codes, they get slow. I picked up almost 2 mpg when i replaced the ones in my former 01 escape xlt 3.0 v-6. Save your self some trouble and get the ones with the correct plug, not universal.

My mpg when i had it was 18 city 22-23 hwy.

I had a 2005 V6 if I remember correctly I averaged a a 17-19 mpg.

MOTORCRAFT Part # DY878 upstream left $34.99 at rock auto
MOTORCRAFT Part # DY877 upstream right $29.79 at rock auto

I would make sure the spark plugs have been replaced at 100k. Its a bit of a job.

Last edited:
How much do you drive? If you don't drive enough, the gains from any parts or additives you put into it may not be enough to break even.

If you're doing it to save money, I think your best bet is to keep up on your tire pressures and learn to drive as efficiently as possible and remove any extra dead weight from the vehicle.

cool. ordered the oxygen sensors. I remember doing the downstream was easy but the upstream looked hard to get to. I will get it done though. at least its not the alternator this time!

Spark plugs, spark plug wires, thermostat, air up tires, change tranny fluid, air filter...

Not sure if it has a coolant sensor...
Clean throttle body, map/maf sensor...

Over/underdrive pulleys on alternator, power steering, and crankshaft

Tc-w3 in your fuel. One ounce for every 5 gallons of fuel might help a bit.

Mos2 has improved mileage in every v-8 engine I've added it to.

Have you considered selling on and getting a thrifty 4 banger likea Corolla or Prism?

The biggest changes in fuel economy come from being easy on the go pedal and not speeding more than the sweet spot for your aerodynamics.

Also you could try putting an extra 5 lbs of air over the door placard cold psi.

Originally Posted By: BrandonVA

I feel for you, brother. 3 years ago I had the exact same model Escape and was lucky to get 250 miles on a full tank.

My solution was to sell it and get a smaller car. Even my Taurus wagon gets me 350 on a tank and it probably has the same amount of room or more.

Best of luck on whatever you do.

To summarize:
Run tires 2-5 PSI over door placard, as long as you don't go over the max pressure molded into the sidewall of the tire.
Change plugs.
Change up-stream O2 sensors.

Last edited:
To summarize:
*Run tires 2-5 PSI over door placard, (don't go over the max pressure on the sidewall of the tire).
*Change plugs.
*Change up-stream O2 sensors.
*Reduce weight (remove junk from trunk).

Added:
*Run a bottle of Techron Concentrate Plus (about $6 at Walmart)... It may not help, but at $6 you're not risking much cash.
*Accelerate harder. Yeah, you read that right! Don't floor-it, that causes the ECM to go into open-loop fuel table (ignoring feedback from O2 sensors). Accelerate around 2/3 to 3/4 throttle; accelerating briskly (but not full-throttle) reduces pumping losses (engine sucking air past closed throttle plate) and reduces the amount of time spent in low gears where the engine has to spin more revolutions per mile.
*Remove roof-rack rails (reduce aerodynamic drag).
*Get wheel-alignment (or alignment check). Often an alignment check is free and misaligned tires may be scrubbing sideways wasting gas (and tires!).
*Don't speed. Aerodynamic drag increases as the square of speed (doubling speed increases drag 4x).

Higher tyre pressure, pull ALL unnecessary weight out, and imagine there's an egg between your foot and the gas pedal
Also, don't use AC, advance your timing a few degrees, and if that still isn't enough, start to look at the 'Aero Mod' section of Ecomodder.com

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back