Help me Improve gas mileage in my escape

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not driven a Corolla, but on my stick cars I can drive w/o using throttle to make it take off in first. First step in learning how to drive a stick is to learn how to get full clutch engagement without using any throttle. And even to go up through the gears w/o throttle. And back down. Practice that a bit, then add a little bit of throttle in order to pick up speed.

stalling is good when you are learning the stick; it shows that you are not going to burn out the clutch. it is much better to stall than to rev it too much.

Originally Posted By: BrandonVA
anyways, I certainly improved my mpg today...by trading in my escape for a 2006 corolla with m/t. this is my first m/t so I have some learning to do. Accidentally smoked it a bit on my driveway once...arghhh!

Congratulations on escaping your Escape. Must feel good. I know it did for me.

Once you get the hang of your manual, I'm betting you won't want to go back.

Oh, and be sure to update your signature with your new vehicle!
smile.gif

I had an '07 Corolla with the 5-speed that I really, REALLY enjoyed. Mine was a pretty nice LE model...even Corolla junkies didn't know you could get a 5-speed LE. Anyway, it was very enjoyable to drive, and super easy to maintain. The 1ZZ-FE engine is a real peach...small, smooth, and efficient. I never got below 30 mpg with mine, ever. I mean, not a single tank. Most tanks were 32-34 mpg, with 35-36 common in spring and fall. Highway was 38-40.

yesterday I drove from Reno up to Portland and got, driving over 42 mpg average. My GPS insisted I take hwy 395, 139, and then 97 north from Klamath Falls. I was sceptical but the most amazing part was I got over 78 mpg (!) driving on hwy 58 from just north of Chemult to Eugene. I was driving 45-55 mph (int the rain at night) following a big truck that probably knew the route better than I did. That section is mostly downhill, losing altitude from the Cascades to the Willamette valley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back