Help me identify these cars

This poor thing is rotting away near my place, What kind of Cadillac is it?
IMG_20210814_122655.jpg
IMG_20210814_122758.jpg

And i saw this the other day, no clue what it is:
IMG_20220216_112412.jpg

I saw your post and I immediately thought that the answers were too easy. Then I looked at the long, narrow license plate on the Riviera and realized your post didn't originate in the states. A few photos of your common cars would have baffled me also. :cool:

When I saw the Cadillac my first thought was 1966 Coupe DeVille because of the over/under style headlights and two doors. Truthfully I didn't even notice the front plate with 1966 Cad. A few manufacturers used over/under style headlights for a couple years in the mid '60's. My dad had a '66 Ford Fairlane with the over/under headlights. I think Ford only used that style headlight on the Fairlane in '66/'67 and if I recall correctly a couple years on the Galaxy along about the same time. I turned 8 years old in Nov. '67 so my memory could be wrong. I really had no idea what model the Riviera was since I didn't really care for that body style.

When I saw the Cadillac my first thought was 1966 Coupe DeVille because of the over/under style headlights and two doors. Truthfully I didn't even notice the front plate with 1966 Cad. A few manufacturers used over/under style headlights for a couple years in the mid '60's. My dad had a '66 Ford Fairlane with the over/under headlights. I think Ford only used that style headlight on the Fairlane in '66/'67 and if I recall correctly a couple years on the Galaxy along about the same time. I turned 8 years old in Nov. '67 so my memory could be wrong. I really had no idea what model the Riviera was since I didn't really care for that body style.

'65-'68 DeVille's have over/under headlamps, I like the '68 because the more modern 472 compared to the ancient 390 based 429 used in '65-'67.

I can tell 65/66 & 67/68 from each other because 65/66 headlamps stand straight up together & 67/68 headlamps are staggered/raked. But it's difficult for me to tell a '65 from a '66 or a '67 from a '68 by just looking at them.

but others aren't.
I hope whoever bought that Riviera didn't buy it for any "collection" aspect. 😂 I mean, they didn't seem to be super common but they weren't considered anything special to my knowledge.

I've got a 66 Cadillac Secan Deville so that's a 66 and yes the tag verifys that. The other is a Riveria and they were with the 3.8 SC motor,

I had three cars with vertical headlights, 1965 Galaxy, 1966 GTO and a 1968 Rambler Ambassador wagon.

It's kind of sad to see that Coupe DeVille just sitting in the weed filled yard like that. I hope the owner gets something done with it before it rots away.

It's kind of interesting to see the Riviera there in Europe. A little poetic, actually. I can't tell the difference, but it is a '95 - '99. What is poetic about it, is the design was intended to give it a European styling, so it would compete with luxury offerings from that side of the pond.

I have always been more of a fan of the earlier generations of Riviera and Toronado cars, and preferred the Toronado over the Riviera. Except for the boat tail Riviera. That was awesome!

Last edited:
FWIW, vertical headlights first appeared on the AMC Ambassador in 1965.

My friend's father drove a '66 Ambassador wagon; 327ci and 4bbl Holley. It went good, but the vacuum wipers and foot pedal windshield washer were lame by even 60's standards. When my friend drove it he'd punch the throttle and said, "Look...throttle controlled wipers!"

It got taken out when it was rear ended. It was parked on the curb in front of the library. The woman hit it so hard it ended up in the sidewalk and the column shift ended up in drive.

Back