Help me ID this part going from air filter into engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the Sienna hood up tonight, and glanced at the air filter. It was nice & snug, but I noticed that a hose (?) connecting it to the engine was chewed up. I am not sure what piece this is (to order), or what it is called. There was a clamp that looked like it fitted underneath this hose, if it was the proper/original length.

I looked in the diagram HERE, but I'm not sure which of the pieces (#13 or #14?) it is.

here are two pics I took, with the chewed up/torn part in red.

LargeScale.jpg

LargeView.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW, in the top picture, you have the battery in the bottom right; above that is the air filter, and then along the left is the engine with the oil filler cap.

I'm guessing 'metered orifice' to the crankcase ventilation (PCV) system. Just A Guess.

I think you are seeing an intact crankcase breather that's got insulation over top of it, at least that's what I'm seeing.

Well either of you sure could be right. Unfortunately, that intact hose that fits inside the insulation doesn't really look like anything on that diagram page I linked to, so maybe its another section of that website diagram for the Sienna's engine.

Items #13 & #14 are hoses for the intake per your diagram.
Item #11 is the resonator, per the same.
You can see in the diagram that there is a hose barb on the left side of item #11.
I believe you have circled the hose that plugs into this barb. The hose is covered in foam insulation, which appears to have been abraded by the spring clamp.
I think it is cut back by design to provide access to the spring clamp for the hose.

The hose is likely a component of the PCV system, which is not illustrated in the diagram you have posted.
Can you trace this hose back to the PCV valve and valve cover?

Looks like someone tore the insulation apart to get to the hose clamp. Have you owned the car it's entire life or could it have been there before you bought it?

Bought it new in Nov 2004. I don't think my mechanic has peeked inside the valve covers, he MIGHT have changed the PCV but I don't recall him doing that. Regardless, he's the only one who would have needed to do that, unless this is common to come from factory like that.

My big thing was that it wasn't allowing sand into the engine. That was my big concern that made me post here--wondering if I needed to replace this hose. I wasn't thinking that it was just insulation. But of course, if it should be whole, I wouldn't have a problem buying a new unit and putting that on.

Originally Posted by spk2000
Looks like someone tore the insulation apart to get to the hose clamp. Have you owned the car it's entire life or could it have been there before you bought it?

That hose is part of the PCV system. Feeds clean air into the front valve cover. Someone has moved the hose clamp & damaged the heat shield foam tube that goes around the hose. Not a big deal, move the clamp back & you'll be fine

Move the clamp towards the air filter?

Originally Posted by mehullica
That hose is part of the PCV system. Feeds clean air into the front valve cover. Someone has moved the hose clamp & damaged the heat shield foam tube that goes around the hose. Not a big deal, move the clamp back & you'll be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back