Help me get a new lawn tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want at least 19 hp, 42 in cut, and a strong, durible body.

My old MTD died after 7 years
frown.gif

Thanks.

I guess you will get recommendations based upon what folk have used and have had good service with. My 1990 JD 172 is still in service, about 3 1/2 hours each week, and has just over 1820 hours. It has a 14 HP Kawasaki single. I bought a new JD last August. It only has 39 hours on it but has been perfect so far. It is 19.5 HP JD speck engine built by Briggs and Stratton, and has a 42 inch cut. It is very easy to service and I am a service fanatic.

Originally Posted By: talker

frown.gif

Thanks.
John Deer, Ours is 3 years old and has been nothing less than exceptional. It has over 400 hours on it now and we use it year round for cutting the grass, as a utility cart, and for plowing snow. We have the 22HP.

Looks like this (not mine):

506415-1.jpg

132_3207_33.jpg

I am a real fan of Cub Cadet (get at a dealer not a box store). I got a 23hp with a 50" deck for the same price as MTD 19HP 42". The deck is heavier construction and better bearings compared to the MTD's. The turning radius is awesome compared to other tractors.

I researched this several years ago for a woman @ work and came to the conclusion Simplicity should be a mfg to consider; I'm not going to try to defend it against others, just mentioning it as something to look @.

I don't see them in big box stores, so good likelihood they have not caved to cheap consumer models.

edit: she chose to stay with her 1982ish cub cadet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I researched this several years ago for a woman @ work and came to the conclusion Simplicity should be a mfg to consider; I'm not going to try to defend it against others, just mentioning it as something to look @.

I don't see them in big box stores, so good likelihood they have not caved to cheap consumer models.

+1 for Simplicity...now on my second one....Regent model is great...roller bar on back of floating deck gives the best cut of all them.

Also, remove one slide off pin and the belt and the mower deck slides out in about a minute.

Neighbor has a 300X Deere he loves.

Cub is now owned by MTD.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC

frown.gif

Thanks.
John Deer, Ours is 3 years old and has been nothing less than exceptional. It has over 400 hours on it now and we use it year round for cutting the grass, as a utility cart, and for plowing snow. We have the 22HP.

Looks like this (not mine):

506415-1.jpg

132_3207_33.jpg

What brand and type of engine? SIngle? V-Twin?

I agree with the others, I would steer clear of the "box store" offerings and buy from a dealer.

We just got a Husqvarna 24/48. Has a B&S V-Twin. Very well built. Has grease fittings on all the steering components and front wheel hubs. Im sure it has them on the deck too, have not checked yet. Perfect for the BITOG'er. Came with this cool bumper for the front. Even has a cup holder!

Last edited by a moderator:

frown.gif

Thanks.

How many acres? How much is your time worth? What is your budget?

I went through a couple mowers including a 06 JD I think 135 which was 20 something hp with a 42 inch deck before I went to a mid pack zero turn JD Z445.
z445_515794_large.jpg

It's a bit light on the frame but the components are up to the task 25hp kawasaki, kanzaki pumps and parker wheel motors. Its cut my time on the mower in half. A bunch of guys are using them for their mowing business rather then buying the larger comercial level offerings.

Thanks steve
thumbsup2.gif
I would prefer a model with ROPS but I cannot complain. I may upgrade the rear tires to the Z465's which are a bit taller and wider. It would help the ride and increase my ground speed just a bit. I just noticed they now have 3 models of z445, it used to be just 1 in the ez-trac line.

Here's the Kawasaki engine in mine. http://www.kawpowr.com/engines/detail.aspx?id=19

frown.gif

Thanks.

You forgot a very important spec. How much do you want to spend? You can spend $800 to $8000 for a new lawn/garden tractor. Assuming you want to be in the MTD range of ~$2K. A dealer JD 100 or a Simpliciy would be my choice for that price range.

Joel

frown.gif

Thanks.

Yea, how did it die?

My Big box store (WMT) MTD with a 17.5 HP B&S is 12 years old, sees more sand & dust than grass, runs 3 hours a week and is going strong!
21.gif
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
As usual, determine the appropriate one for your needs, then buy the next higher size....
Woman!

You need the most powerful one you can get. I hear JD's are putting HEMI's in now!
LOL.gif

If you're just going to cut grass, you can't beat a zero-turn. I bought a Scag Freedom Z with the 26hp Briggs ELS and I can cut my 2.5 acres in an hour and 45 minutes, where it took four hours to cut it on my previous mower a 42-inch craftsman with a 15hp Kohler. I'm pushing 100 hours on my Z and would never go back to a tractor. I've got a Kawasaki Prairie 650 ATV to handle hauling trailers around the yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back