Help me get a new lawn tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: talker
I want at least 19 hp, 42 in cut, and a strong, durible body.

My old MTD died after 7 years
frown.gif

Thanks.

You forgot a very important spec. How much do you want to spend? You can spend $800 to $8000 for a new lawn/garden tractor. Assuming you want to be in the MTD range of ~$2K. A dealer JD 100 or a Simpliciy would be my choice for that price range.

Joel

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO more than $1,600

Originally Posted By: expat
How did it Die??

Well... not to sure....

Turned the key and BOOM!!!

Also had to to giggle the fuel line every time before it would start anyway.

Heck with it.

That won't buy you much new machine. Cub LTX1042's are on sale for ~$1650. JD LA105's can be had for around $1500. I'd choose what ever dealer you like better. Last resort, buy the most Sears machine you can for $1600. There are no appreciable differences between equipment in this price range.

Joel

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Sounds like no oil in it...

No sir!
I ALWAYS check it before I start it.

No exception to this time.

It was FULL.

I would spend more than $1600 and own a tractor that you can't kill.

Why replace them every 7-10 years when you can buy a good one and look after it and it will last you forever and you can bank the rest.

The guy next store to us who has the same size property (2 acres) and uses his year round like us, has an old JD and it would have over 2,000 hours on it due to the age. It runs like a clock. Only thing he does to it is changes the oil and sharpens the blades and gives it a tune-up now/again. I think it's only on its second set of belts and It's gotta be 20 years old.

He convinced us to buy a JD, when we first moved in we had to borrow his until my dad went and bought a lawn tractor.

My dad was impressed with the build quality of the JD when he went looking at lawn-tractors that he bought it then/there.

Everything is built extremely well and to last. No shotty steering apparatuses (which seem to be common) ours are cast iron and thick, or deck adjustments. Lots of the parts have Zerk fittings so you can grease them. The bearings on the deck are also very high quality.

We bought the dump cart to go with it and it has been extremely handy.

My dad likes it too because there is a khrap holder and a cup holder so he can put his "OFF" bug spray in the khrap holder and his water bottle in the cup holder. (I put beer)
grin2.gif

well, i've got a 1987 john deere 214 (14 hp kohler) and a 1975 cub cadet 1250 (12 hp kohler) that will out work any of the newer deere's, mtd, craftsman, husky.... btw, they both still work great.

You have cows, do you have a tractor? You could get a finish mower from Howse or Bush hog. Not as fast as a ZTR but more reliable and less maintenance then multiple pieces of equipment.

I just bush hogged a couple fields and a neighbors lot last week. I felt like I was going slow but it was still faster then any of the cheap brand lawn mowers the neighbors where using and I was cutting over grown fields not a lawn. With a finish mower attached I would estimate since I don't use a finish mower I could mow at 10-12 mph and still get a good cut. I can manage 9 mph in bursts when using my rotary cutter depending on the density of grasses etc.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
well, i've got a 1987 john deere 214 (14 hp kohler) and a 1975 cub cadet 1250 (12 hp kohler) that will out work any of the newer deere's, mtd, craftsman, husky.... btw, they both still work great.

There is no comparison between the older models and any of the newer stuff unless you shop at a much higher price. My LT166 Deere was $3k in the 90's it had a better frame and better deck then the 135 I had while I still had the 166. The 135 was faster but the 166 still cut better thanks to its deeper deck.

I sold my 2006 Cub Cadet for a Cast Iron 1978 model 1250 Cub. The difference in the cut it gives and the build quality is night and day!!! Look at used REAL garden tractors, not lawn tractors.

Garden Tractor prices are scary...Simplicity 20HP VanGuard...
$ 4,500

A Deere 300 series...Kawasaki starts at $ 3,000

A Simplicity Regent is $ 2,400....a true value for the $$.

The most bang for the buck will probably be a Sears or a Husquarvana at Sears. Husly's look decent for the $$.

In all reality most of these tractors come with a frame that seems identical..... similiar engines...if a Briggs..get the Extended Life ...Hydrogear hydrostatic drive...

Briggs now owns...Simplicity...Lawnboy...Cub Cadet...more to come.

In reality more similarity now than differences until you get to the garden tractor level..

Last edited:
You will probably have a Briggs on board (hopefully an Extended Life or Extended Life with XRD). If so you want the engine with this air filter if possible..these are (light duty) commercial engines.

http://www.shakyparts.com/792105.html

If it has this air filter (below) make sure the air-cleaner has 4 bolts to hold it on...not just 2 as was previously the case. There were lots of "dirt getting in the engine causing total failure" early on due to poor air cleaner design.

http://www.shakyparts.com/697153_briggs_stratton_air_filter_.html

The first(new design) filter is great!

Both use a foam prefilter.

Last edited:
I have an old MTD with a hydrostatic (automatic) and can't stand it. Like a torque converter in a car, saps power from the engine. Wish it had a 5-speed. Mower would run faster and then I get done sooner.

I run Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30 and seems to work.

Originally Posted By: tuckman
I am a real fan of Cub Cadet (get at a dealer not a box store). I got a 23hp with a 50" deck for the same price as MTD 19HP 42". The deck is heavier construction and better bearings compared to the MTD's. The turning radius is awesome compared to other tractors.

i hear ya,we have an lt-1046 20hp v-twin (courage motor)and use it for plowing snow as well.so far its been great!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ffracer
I have an old MTD with a hydrostatic (automatic) and can't stand it. Like a torque converter in a car, saps power from the engine. Wish it had a 5-speed. Mower would run faster and then I get done sooner..

Ehh.. I don't buy that one. What you potentially loose in power (which is a non-issue/not noticeable on most machines), you gain in mowing maneuverability. You can whip back/forth without stopping to shift with a hydrostatic or hydraulic drive machine. The very reason any commercial equipment is hydro.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: ffracer
I have an old MTD with a hydrostatic (automatic) and can't stand it. Like a torque converter in a car, saps power from the engine. Wish it had a 5-speed. Mower would run faster and then I get done sooner..

Ehh.. I don't buy that one. What you potentially loose in power (which is a non-issue/not noticeable on most machines), you gain in mowing maneuverability. You can whip back/forth without stopping to shift with a hydrostatic or hydraulic drive machine. The very reason any commercial equipment is hydro.

Joel

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back